Is there a way to find where a component instance is used before applying changes?

While using components from shared libraries in Figma files. When there is an update to components in the shared library(shown in assets) is there a way to find out where the instance of that component is before agreeing to update that change into the design file?

9 Likes

There are plugins like Instance Finder that can help you with that.

2 Likes

Yes tried them. quite long winded as we have 100s of components to sieve through

2 Likes

Yeah it sucks. I think the Organization plan has some advanced Library Analytics for that sort of thing but that leaves out every company that is not big enough to have an ORG license but needs the feature just as much.

7 Likes

The plugins mentioned also don’t search across files. We have multiple files, are on an org plan, can see the Library analytics that tell us which file a specific component is used in, but won’t point us to where in the file it is used. Am I missing something? This feels like such an obvious need :confused:

12 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: See where component is used / find component Instances across files

This Plugin seems to do the job very well

I like this idea too, in theory. But we’d be asking Figma “Hey, go look in all existing files in my (team? organization?) for a component named Widget. Then report back to me.”

I don’t think you can build a plugin that runs in one file and accesses other files. If it’s a library you’ve already published, you can get this info from analytics, right?

It would be an amazing feature, but not sure how it would be possible. :grimacing: