Disappearing Images in Figma

I’ve been using Figma for a few months, moving from Sketch. I have a fairly large working file, which was fine until today—I installed the desktop app, and suddenly I have bitmaps not appearing in my file. This is reflected in both the web browser and desktop apps, viewing the same file.

I’ve tried a few things, per the suggestions of folks here. Those things include running a terminal command to clear the Figma cache, and flattening the image. Neither of these have worked.

Moving back to Sketch until further notice.

I’ve also noticed that bitmaps on the somewhat large size look pixelated and unreadable in Figma. This is something that would take some getting used to, and I’m not sure I’m up for it. Please advise.

I’m encountering the same problems. Images in my frames were visible on 13 Dec SGT time, and 14 Dec, some of them disappeared and turned black. The layer of the image is there, but it’s just a black layer.

I copied it back from another file i had a backup for, but it’s still not working.
File A Backup - Ctrl C (image visible)
File B with issue - Ctrl V (black color) error says - invalid thumbnail image was removed

I have been working on a file for weeks now and all of a sudden, just when I was rounding up, some images I have on the file disappeared. This is really frustrating, I have refreshed, closed the App, Open the file again, No way.

What do I do?

2 Likes

I have the same problem(

1 Like

I had many PNG images in my Figma file that saved. Returning to the file, the images aren’t visible and the names aren’t in the layers panel. When I try to replace the images (I’ve tried dragging files in and ‘placing’ them), they never load and appear. I’ve tried logging in and out of my account, and closing the browser. When I look at previous versions of my Figma file, the images don’t appear either. What should I do?

Hey @Nailah_Huq,

Is this only happening with Figma using the browser? Have you tried the Desktop app?

If you have any extensions, could you see if temporarily disabling them changes anything? It’s possible the images aren’t loading if you have extensions as noted here: Image loading issues

It’s also possible that the images are not showing if they were not properly imported into the file. Could you let me know if you’re able to access the images by selecting one on the Canvas and then going to the CSS ‘Table’ view and clicking the image link there? If the image loads from there, this means Figma has it stored, but it’s not loading for some reason. If you see an error message there, this means the images have been lost.

If you’re still having trouble after that, please reach out to the support team directly via this form for help: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

1 Like

Me too, same problem

Hi everyone, I’m new to Figma. I created a component for the nav bar items. I linked each item back to it’s page/screen and I copied the component to all the pages/screens, but when I reviewed, some menus were missing images and paragraphs. I wasn’t able to link the logo to the homepage. I need help to see what I did wrong or how to correct it. Thank you.

@dvaliao Same problem here.
It seems to happened only on copy/paste screenshot directly in the app. My screenshot saving settings are set to “save to clipboard” and I paste them directly in Figma. It’s working fine for a few weeks but sometimes disappears with no way to find them back.

I don’t know if the symptoms are the same, but in my case it was due to the large image size.
By downsizing using the plugin, the images are now displayed correctly.

I bet Figma has a cache problem. My images disappear when I zoom out of the workspace. Most likely Figma replaces the image with a copy in a reduced size to save memory.

However, if there is no reduced image in the cache, the program will not display it.

If the problem is only with 1-2 images, I recommend you to create a new frame and add images again. Delete problematic frames.

If all pictures are not loaded, then you should make Figma delete temporary local files:

1. Close the file
  2. Close Figma
  3. Restart the computer.

If this doesn’t help, you can try using third-party cache clearing programs or uninstall Figma, restart your computer and download again.

Developers, if you are reading this topic, make a button in the program to reset the cache. Thank you.