Copy as PNG...Pasted PNG has black background not transparency

1. Describe the bug/issue you’re running into?

FigJam allows the user to select items, right click and ‘copy as PNG’

When this is pasted in to another program or document on DESKTOP, the transparency areas are not honoured and turn black. Suggest that FigJam should output a PDF.

2. Are you able to consistently reproduce it? If so what are the steps?

Select items, right click, copy as PNG
Open desktop program (e.g. Outlook, Word, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign)
Paste PNG

3. Share a screenshot, recording, console log, link to the file, etc.

4. Is the issue only happening in desktop app or a specific browser , or both?

Happens when copying PNG from FigJam to desktop program.

5. What OS/version and/or browser/version are you using?

You didn’t answer the last question which is crucial to help you. But I’m pretty sure you are on Windows. On Windows clipboard images don’t support transparency for some bizarre reason, so it’s an issue with Windows, not FigJam.

Hi @Gleb …Thanks for the response.

My apologies for missing the final question, yes I am on a Windows based machine.

I would argue that yes, this IS a FigJam issue. I am sure there are many of your users who are on Windows! It is frustrating that a very useful tool is not viable to use. There are times when we are going to have to share work with stakeholders in a printed format or in an email or a presentation.

I can paste the image in to online programs (e.g. word our outlook online) and preserve the transparency…HOWEVER, the resolution is very poor. Again I suggest that it should be possible to export to a PDF (like Mural) so that this feature is usable across all operating systems and in a usable resolution.

I was referring to the original question about the black background “bug”. As for your feedback on the lack of the ability to export, you can add your ideas and vote here: Export FigJam to PDF/Other formats

Instead of using “Copy as PNG”, export the image. Export tab is located on top right corner just below the share button.

1 Like

Export doesn’t work either. It only exports one item out of the selection. I’m trying to create a PNG from a number of selected items. It works with fewer items. It seems there’s a limit to the number of items you can select and then COPY AS PNG. It’s a shame.

Happening to me too, I’m using figma from chrome + windows but I’ve done it yesterday a dozen times and worked fine but today I’m getting black background every time I try, exporting works though.

In FigJam there is awesome feature to select evements and Copy as PNG.
Using this it’s helpful on so many levels:

• add it to the wiki, confluence, Pull Request on the Github, etc
  • task in Jira, Trello, etc
  • send fast in slack, telegram, email

This is really quite way to share fast. I love it! :heart:

The only problem with it that it copies PNG into clipboard that has a transparent background.
Because of that when I’d paste it into most places it will be transparent too. And every app have different background: white, yellow, grey, back, etc.
Also Night Mode is already quite popular and adopted feature on all devices (MacOS, iOS, Windows, Android). So backgrounds get dark.
And when you copy a regular chart on white background and paste it somewhere like slack with dark background there is nothing to see. It’s black chart on dark grey background.

I really believe that updating Copy as PNG to have a solid background will help improve this feature quite a bit. Alternatively it can have an option to copy it with solid background (like in export)

1 Like

I had the similar issue and was loosing my mind. I am using Windows machine and on a Chrome browser. For me it turns out I somehow turned image border.

How to turn off image border:

1. Select the image
  2. Notice the bar popped up giving replace image, crop, image border, Alt text.
  3. You’ll notice image border is highlighted
  4. Click on image border to turn it off

1 Like

Thank you!!

Just add white background on very bottom

It’s possible that the problem with copying PNGs from FigJam is because the transparency doesn’t persist when pasted into other programs on the desktop. I suggest trying to use PDF format instead of PNG when copying from FigJam. This can solve the problem of maintaining transparency. Please let me know if this works for you!

1 Like