Align selection to parent by holding down keyboard shortcut

Sometimes when you select a group of objects you want to align the group to the parent, rather than the individual objects in your selection. Currently, you can get around this by temporarily creating a group, aligning it and then ungrouping the objects.

It would be more convenient though if you could hold down a keyboard shortcut though. My suggestion would be cmd/ctrl.

Here are examples of aligning two objects.

First, an example of what happens when you align a selection.

And the second is an example of a workaround for aligning the selection to a parent.

It would be great if you could achieve the above just by holding down cmd/ctrl while clicking the alignment you want.

How do others feel? Is this something you think you would use?

3 Likes

Similar to this I would LOVE to have a keyboard shortcut to align multiple objects (in different frames) to their respective parent frames instead of each other.

For example sometimes I have multiple identical components (not literally figma components, more like frames with child objects) where I want to select the same child object in each component/frame and align them horizontally and vertically centered to their respective parent frame.

A key command for this would be amazing! So in addition to the alt + h maybe it’s cmd + alt + h or something.

3 Likes

Similar to this, I would love if the order of selecting objects determined the relative alignment.

For example, the first object selected would stay fixed and the second object would align relative to it, instead of both objects moving.

1 Like

Yay, this is now a thing. In Figma’s Little Big Updates August 2022, item number 4. You can align things without the need to create a group by holding down the shift key.

1 Like