Add Align to Key Object feature from Illustrator

I struggle to quickly snap align one object to another, which is a feature that I really enjoyed years ago when using Illustrator.

In illustrator you can select two objects, then set one of them as the “key object” and the other object will align to it when you select an align option, no matter where it is on the canvas. In Figma it seems that in order to align one object to another, the object you are trying to align has to actually be contained within the primary object, which is terribly inconvenient when trying to make super fast and accurate alignments. You essentially have to either drag the secondary object within the vertical space of the primary and look for the red alignment guides, or you have to drag the secondary object within the vertical space of the primary and then use the alignment buttons from there. This is also an issue because it only works if the primary object is larger than the secondary. You can always align them and then move everything back to where you want it, but that’s not ideal.

Has this been a pain point for anyone else? Am I just missing this feature in Figma?

4 Likes

Check out my plugin copy paste position size, it is what I use to achieve an effortless alignment

1 Like