Transfer team ownership after someone left the company

Is there a way to manually transfer ownership of a team/project after that member has left the company. We may be able to get access to their figma login, but ideally there should be a way to manually override within Figma?

Are you on Figma Organization?

No we are on a starter team, part of this task is to look into upgrading to the Professional tier.

In this case how could such manual override even work? The owner is the owner, they can transfer the team if they want, but nobody else can do it for them. The accounts are not attached to a specific company unless you are on the Organization plan. So if you have access to their account, you can change team ownership only from there.

This is a very poor answer. If the employee leaves, let’s say I can take control of their corporate email and attempt login. What if they have 2FA set up? Or what happens if the owner dies?

Figma needs a way to validate the person paying the bill, and allow transfer of ownership based on that. I mean, Figma does want to continue to get paid.

All of this is possible on the Organzation and Enterprise plans.

For the Starter/Professional team, this is not really possible since the contract here is between a specific person and Figma, not company and Figma. So that person is technically the owner of all files in that team and they can do whatever you want with them even if they leave the company or die. As a company you can’t be on a Starter/Pro plan so employment and such shouldn’t be a concern.

In any case if you have a special case or something I’m sure if you contact Figma support they will help.