Set default frame spacing

It would be nice to be able to set the default spacing between frames. I find 40px to be rather tight most of the time. It could work the same as the ‘Nudge amount’ feature.

13 Likes

When I duplicate frames (which I do a lot), the duplicated frame appears 40px to the right. I would like to be able to adjust that value myself eg set it to 200px.

Why?
When showing sketches to other stakeholders, the screen looks cluttered with frames that are 40px apart. For them, it can be confusing since they are not working daily with Figma. Therefore, I always have to adjust the spacing myself.

How do you people present for other stakeholder? Have any tip? I mean, I can always show in the “prototype” mode but then you can not move around components whilst talking or even take notes directly on the frame (not comment).

3 Likes

A few ideas…

1. Wrap all the frames in an auto layout and adjust the spacing between items. Then anytime you duplicate a frame it will automatically give you the right spacing.
  2. Select all frames and distribute horizontal spacing, then modify the spacing between frames while all are selected
  3. Just manually move them
3 Likes

Hey guys just wondering if there’s a method to set up the default distance between frames. It seems that currently it’s set to 40 and I hoped to get a larger distance. I got this question because it’s kind of hard for me to connect adjacent frames in Prototype mode when I zoomed out to see the whole canvas.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Exactly. Also need a bit of space to create connections without cluttering too much.

1 Like

Agreed, 40px is too tight – setting a default would be a great solution

4 Likes

Would love to have a way to set the frame spacing like we have now with the nudge amount :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

It would save me a lot of time to be able to set a default spacing between frames without having to wrap them in another frame and use auto layout.

1 Like

This is a must have feature. Very useful to be able to set a default. 40 is just too little.

2 Likes

Still need this feature! Would be super super helpful. 40px is not enough and I use duplicating shortcut all the time.

1 Like

+1
I would love to be able to set it by myself.
Not only 40 is too small, but also different frame sizes require different spacing. I personally tend to put larger desktop-size frames further from each other, than mobile app frames.

2 Likes

I agree on all fronts! I personally use 200px between frames.

1 Like

It’s been almost 3 years. This seems like an easy feature to implement and it’d be soooooo helpful. Duplicating and moving frames or wrapping them in auto layout every time adds up to a lot of time that could be saved with this feature.

2 Likes

Would be great if that could be adjusted & changed with something like “Set Default Properties” (which is such a time-saving feature for overwriting miscellaneous defaults). :star: What does it take to get this into User Stories for the next sprint?

1 Like

Definitely would like to be able to configure the spacing between new frames. It’s very time-consuming when adding new frames and having to adjust them each time.

1 Like

Good day!

I’m joining this conversation. Being able to set a default spacing between new frames would be really time saving for me.

Basically :

• Avoiding clustered working files
  • Having enough space around a screen to add notes or comments (non native) by default
  • When working with a team, file organisation good practices always include a proper space between frames. Embracing this would be a good move.
  • I use different spacing for mobile design, desktop, presentation, workshops. Being able to setting up by myself is important to me

Thanks Figma Team! :pray:

Hello there! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on default frame spacing. I completely understand the importance of this request, and we are eager to see how other members in the community respond.

We use votes to measure the level of interest from the community and prioritize accordingly. I believe your idea would be beneficial for other community members! Please show your support for this idea by voting up!

We truly value feedback from our community.
Thank you,