Edit the space between items (paddings) in auto layout independently

Really don`t like the approach that I need to create a lot of additional auto-layouts just to have different spacing between components. I guess Adobe XD have a more convenient way to do it.

spacing

17 Likes

Auto layout is a great feature that saves a lot of time and the Space Between Items field allows you to quickly update spacing. However, I often work with stacked layouts in which the spaces between certain items are not all equal. In this case, the only option is to create another nested frame and another auto layout. This can result in many nested auto layout frames which becomes difficult to manage. For example, I often need to create a whole new frame and auto layout to accommodate a header which sites above a set of equality spaced cards in a stacked view.

It would be great if we could edit the space between items in an auto layout independently. Adobe XD handles this by allowing the user to click on the space between elements and drag up or down to adjust the amount of space. Then the user can reset to equal spacing by entering a value in the Space Between Items field.

16 Likes

That’s only of the few things I miss from Adobe XD. Would be great if Figma had this feature.

I would add the possibility to enter negative spaces, so we can simulate negative margins used in CSS.

12 Likes

This would be a great feature enhancement to auto layout.

3 Likes

Would also be great if you could use fractional units too, not just pixels.

2 Likes

I want to use auto layout with vertical direction and have all components with horizontal padding of 40 and a few components with 0 padding. Additionally, I want to be able to scale the parent frame horizontally (different device sizes) – in a way so the components preserve their paddings (0 and 40). I don’t see an easy way to do it. Why constraints are not available to children frames of auto-layout. Am I missing anything?

P.S. The solution to this would be to do everything with 0 padding and add 40 paddings to the majority of component. This creates a lot of complexity when dealing with layers. I would love to find an easier solution.

1 Like

@tank666 You merged my issue with this discussion. However, I would love to suggest a different solution.

In the case of the vertical auto-layout I would love to be able to set a fixed width of child element and also be able to add “left and right” constraint. This way the child element would scale horizontally with the parent element.

1 Like

@Pawel_Sysiak, I opened your topic. Thanks for the clarifications.

This is so annoying :frowning:

1 Like

This is a must! Such a good feature in XD shame it’s not available in Figma.

Does anybody know of a workaround? Is it literally to make multiple frames?

5 Likes

Any updates if figma will consider adding this feature? I feel like 75% of stacked elements use different amounts of space between objects.

1 Like

Agreed, I find myself often adding nested auto-layouts to achieve this which feels very much hacked.

3 Likes

Personally I would prefer this idea be disabled by default. I would nest different auto-layouts so I do not confuse myself and my devs.

1 Like

Agreed on the original post. The way XD implemented variable spacing in “stacks” (layouts in Figma) is awesome and super handy. I end up using it for entire design layouts so I can edit content and other things that may change heights so the design fidelity stays intact and can flow like HTML. Figma has some great features and additional things XD does not have but this is one feature I miss.

3 Likes

Definitely a must-have for auto-layout. I always see this use-case appear in every project I do inside Figma.

1 Like

As mentioned - i miss this from XD. Please add this to Figma!

1 Like

Seems like they can easily now add this with the new updates to Auto layout. You can now select the spacing in the physical design and change the value. If they would allow this for different spacing between individual elements this would solve these problems.

1 Like

Yes please!

I just wanted to add my voice to those who feel they would benefit from this feature. With so many parallels between Figma features and front-end development, the “nested auto-layout” approach seems counterintuitive and adds unnecessary complexity to design files to achieve the effect. I’ve also voted for this at the top. :innocent:

I don’t like this feature request. It would be an open door to inconsistency. Let me explain why:

From a design perspective, you use different spacings to help users identify groups of elements. This means that your nesting groups are relevant for hierarchy.

If you need less complexity in your layers, it should be because you’re ideating! So it’s up to you to use absolute positioning with no auto layout and using groups. This way you’ll keep organised in your layers for fast editing.

And it’s also not really what you would be supposed to find in code for the same evidence.