Detailed "Resource Use" panel

1. Current Resource Use panel isn’t very useful because “0.01 G” doesn’t say much when you want to optimize your content to be as lightweight as possible.

2. We want to make eco-friendly design and use as few resource as possible when designing our stuff. It would be nice if the exact amount of kilobytes (or even bytes!) could be displayed instead of gigabytes. Having this information would help us make better decisions.
    For example: “should this be a component?” or “should we make this graphic a bitmap or a vector?”

3. Does anybody here care as well about cloud storage and data I/O and its impact on energy consumption, and thus the real resources taken from the environment? :earth_americas: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

8 Likes

Having a detailed “Resource Use” panel would also help us avoid those messages:

I agree. Lately I have a need to optimize parts of a design system that is slow loading for some of our team. The View > Resource Use is a good start but it doesn’t tell me enough to know where I should try to reduce resources.

My additional suggestions:

1. Allow me to see the measures for a given selection.
  2. While the Resource Use view is active, in the Layers panel, show memory usage for each page and layer.
  3. Indicate somehow when shared resources are reducing the functional usage, so I can see what re-use is helping optimization.
3 Likes

I would also love to see an advanced panel of some kind that could tell me, on a per-component basis, what the footprint/impact of it is.

1 Like

i care. text me if you still interested to calculate

Until Figma pursues changes to the resource panel, we have just enough information and tools to be careful about our file size. I’ve replied to a related thread listing the 5 things you can do to reduce resource use ordered by impact.

Along with this, I use Alex Wang’s Layer Counter plugin that breaks down layers by type: (vectors, image, shapes, frames, groups, instances, etc). This helps me ensure components (and subsequently their instances) are as lightweight as possible.

1 Like

Hey all!
Now you can get information about the memory usage of your pages and layers. Just turn on the display of the “Resource use” panel and opposite the names of pages and layers you will see the percentage of memory used.

2 Likes

That’s great news! Thanks for pointing that out.

However, I still wish we could display absolute weight (in megabyte, kilobyte, byte) instead of relative weight (percentage).

Relatedly, I just started a general discussion thread: “Resource use” is now “Memory usage” (when did that happen?). Here’s what the new Memory Usage panel looks like fully expanded:

I agree with you @Philippe_Cote that having the amounts shown in something like GB or MB would be more specific (and therefore more helpful) than the percentages.

But hopefully this isn’t the last update we see on this feature!

3 Likes