Place Image : Has been opening the same file for over 6 months

I don’t know if it is supposed to be that way, if it does that to anyone else, but for many months, every time I go to fetch an image (using the shortcut to place image), my folder opens the same file every time, even though I have not touched it in many months, so every single time, I have to make my way to the correct file. It is driving me insane. At least if I know it’s supposed to be that way, then as stupid as it is, I know there’s nothing I can do, but if I can stop that from happening that 'd be great…

This is a bug.

1. Try deleting or temporarily moving the folder which is being opened. After you open the Place Image dialog again, Figma should get unstuck and you can move the original folder back.

2. Try reinstalling Figma (not simply delete the app, but remove all its system files).

Hey, thanks for the response. I did completely uninstall figma and reinstalled it, I moved the file in question, and the same thing still happens… It is still calling out for the same folder name, within the folder where it used to live… I m not sure its a bug at this point. I think its just how it is… but thank you anyways

This is not how it is, this is a bug that happens for some people.

It is still calling out for the same folder name, within the folder where it used to live

Then move the folder.

I had the same issue but SOLVED it with the help of another Redditor … :hugs:

first, quit Figma and open the preference file as text which is located in C:\Users%User%\AppData\Roaming\Figma\DesktopProfile\v12\Preferences

and look for {“last_directory”:“your_stuck_path_will_be_here”} which is at the end …

and remove that path so it looks like this {“last_directory”:""} … save it …

open Figma and now you are good to go :+1:

here is the Reddit link where we solved this issue … :relaxed:

already posted it in Image placement bug opens the same folder instead of the most recent - #12 by Camilla … hope this helps …

2 Likes

Het, thank you!! I really appreciate this!

The solution with the editing preferences file didn’t work for me. But instead, I’ve deleted Figma AppData folders completely and this solved the bug.
just go to C:\Users%User%\AppData\Roaming
and delate figma and figma desktop
cheers

Hey! I really want to fix this problem, but I cannot find the file mentioned.

C:\Users%User%\AppData\Roaming\Figma\DesktopProfile\v12\Preferences

I copied and pasted this into the “Go to folder” field in Finder, but receive the error message “This folder can’t be found”.

What am I doing wrong?

It works for Windows, not sure of the exact file location for Mac. It might be like this - Library/Application Support/Figma/DesktopProfile/v17. In Windows, you need to replace “Users%User%” with your username. For example, if the username is Sinead, then it would be like C:\Users\Sinead\AppData\Roaming\Figma\DesktopProfile\v12\Preferences and here the v12 means version 12. Now it’s v17. Try to locate till here - C:\Users\Sinead\AppData\Roaming\Figma\DesktopProfile and then go to the last folder which would be v17 most probably, to find the “Preferences” file. Open with notepad and remove the path as mentioned previously.

1 Like