Global live library sharing

Sounds just like my situation with @MartinFujak, I had to be granted access and for every update to the library I have to drop it back into my local org and republish, its horrendous and very error prone.

I refuse to believe all of Figmas big clients have their entire billing structures managed from one org… dont know how figma has not realised this flaw or seemingly refused to undo the removal

2 Likes

Since I know it is not a technical limitation, because the feature was available, I really don’t know. It really is prone to error. Are they trying to get me to pay for the Editor seats of my clients while my clients pays or my editor seats? And still can not use a design library (that updates) for my client, while working on other projects for him. It’s absolutely ridiculous!

5 Likes

Being unable to use a library from another org is a real pain - we’re a global company with multiple orgs (hey @MartinFujak !), who all need access to a single design system. Currently we have to be sent the files when an update is released, and add them to our local org for our teams to use them. It’s a time consuming and manual process that really shouldn’t be required. We have the same issue when working for external clients as they can’t give us access to use their files are a library. Really surprising that Figma haven’t addressed this yet.

6 Likes

It would be great to have the option to share a library with another external Figma Team. This way they use always the up-to-date components. Indeed Sketch had this feature. Why not Figma?

Does Figma have a reaction to this topic? :telescope:

1 Like

See my twitter post few posts above: Figma: While this is already on our radar, there currently isn’t a way to share libraries between different Orgs, and it’s not on our immediate roadmap.

2 Likes

Any update on this?

1 Like

Doesn’t look like it.

Same issue here. Figma is all about collaboration… so it feels crazy that you can’t share a design library across Organisations. I want to collaborate with another member firm in a different country without having to create multiple versions of a library. Governance of a design system is already complicated and Figma are making it harder to collaborate at this scale.

8 Likes

adding another use case here:
My small team was acquired and now I can’t use the style guide from our new parent company. Its INSANE that Figma doesn’t support this considering the clear need.

4 Likes

Adding on here, same issue on my side. We need to think more about freelancer working for several clients (and paying their own account, not asking all clients to pay for them), public services which loves to share tools between organisation and can’t, consultancy company… Voting for up.

4 Likes

Hey All, thanks for the feedback!

We’ll pass this onto our team for future consideration.

3 Likes

Adding to this as well, same issue. We work with a large sports retailer who’s web & app components all exist within their Figma organisation as a library to use. We’d like to link this library into our organisation so we can work to create content using their tools that are maintained and kept up to date by the digital team within their business but due to how cross org sharing works we are unable to.

Opening up cross org library functionality (that we know already exists) would be a significant help to us.

5 Likes

This feature needs to be implemented. I work for an internet service provider, and we have an outside vendor handling our marketing emails.

As an in-house designer, we created a design system for our brand language for that outside vendor to use when crafting emails. Without the ability to share our design library with them, there is no way to ensure they will be using the most up to date assets from our brand system.

We need this ability ASAP!!

2 Likes

hey, has there been any progress on this issue?

Adding a use case here for your consideration Figma team.

in our case we are a multi-national bank and we had a global design library from our holding company in country X.

We are regionally managed and have a big autonomy in each regional (country) as you can think from operational POV we had our own finance director in each country, so are our billings (it’s not an option to ask our group company for our billing), we have different subs plan for each country design team, and only then we came across this problem when we had uncertainty on using shared library between our organisation plans.

Hope this use case can help you to push this capability.

Nothing, nada, zero. They are adding more and more useless features like analytic API, gradient tokens and stuff, but something like sharing a library is no go…

1 Like

I just read the «Sharing libraries across organizations» thread and was hoping that there was some sort of idea already brought up in this direction.

To efficiently work together as multiple suppliers for the same client, it would not just be nice, but actually necessary to being able to share library files across organizations (without the need of publishing them publicly).