Apple pencil "Scribble" feature doesn't work in FigJam in iPad app

It’s amazing being able to use the apple pencil to sketch in FigJam on the ipad! But the text input doesn’t appear to support the scribble feature for the apple pencil.

“Scribble” lets you write text into any text input with the apple pencil and have it convert handwriting to text. It works well in most applications I’ve tried, however not in FigJam.

The worth of the feature is that you don’t have to switch from pencil input to typing just to enter a few words of text.

This works in the UI, but not the canvas, btw.

15 Likes

:point_up: :heavy_plus_sign: 1 just piling on :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

For reference, Miro’s interaction feels way more natural switching between drag and scribble.

1 Like

Just when I thought about the novel idea of using the iPad to do note-taking on Figjam, Figma app works (I mean man, the advertising sells it so well). But nooo… the app could barely recognize the input of my Apple pencil. The app is still a long way to go to catch up with competitors like Miro on iPad. Looks like the novelty of note-taking on iPad with Figjam is going to take a while.

1 Like

Adding a +1 here, it was nice using the pencil to create mockups but I would like to be able to scribble into notes and shapes to enter text

1 Like

+1 Scribbling on top of a sticky note/shape/item that then turns into text would be magical. Like literal magic. Big vote for this one

1 Like

For an efficient workflow you need to be able to draw AND write. So not supporting apple pencil features, specifically Scribble makes figma on iPad is a big roadblock.

• with recent changes in iPad (stage manager, multiple app, etc.) the device itself is transforming to be a very viable laptop replacement. So all the more reason to keep up with investments for the iPad app.

Is this on the roadmap @Figma_Support ?

Will something like this work for you?

3 Likes

+1 to get scribble it working on iPad. Also some pencil gesture to quickly erase a Shape would be helpful. Tldraw, supports the Pencil workflow very well for both scribbling and erasing drawing/shapes… would anticipate similar ux in FigJam.

1 Like