Multibrand Themes

Figma is an awesome tool. It’s been amazing for our Design systems team. However a major feature gap is the ability for the “Asset Library” to support Multiple sub-brands or white-labelling. There are plugins out there that try to hack a solution together but it would be so helpful if the feature could be added natively.

Another blocker is that larger organisation security teams are not found of us designers making API calls to third parties - another big reason why we can’t use plugins with external dependencies like JSbin.

Outside of the multi-brand use case, this feature would also be incredibly useful for freelancers / agencies that need to reskin their design language theme / UX Patterns for client work. It would save so much time. Please, please add this.

In the meantime we will continue to use some internal plugins (native would be so much better!!)

I’m sure many other large design teams or agencies also have a need for this?

9 Likes

Multibrand themes is only one half of it. Tokens need to be comprehensive enough to cover the gamut regarding all modifiers that can be interpreted as CSS values and they need to be easily exported via API or via json/sass/other export.

5 Likes

I’ve tried Themer plug-in which works pretty well.

But this Token Studio as a native feature would be ideal.

Token Studio is heading towards what I was thinking. Whatever this feature ends up like - we just need it to play well with Figma’s Library feature

2 Likes

Ideally, I’d love to see this get rolled into the Swap Library functionality. Allow Figma to look at components and the styles used within them and allow a user to swap those styles from White Label to Brand A in their instances. This could be and probably should be considered an override of the components to allow for master component updates when necessary.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking into the tokens but it’s a big question of how well does it scale for large teams. Looked like a little bit of a learning curve as well.

By their nature Design Tokens are built for scale.
The main task that the design system team will have is setting the level of granularity and customisation.
Design tokens are also becoming standardised too with a W3C group already established.