LAUNCHED: Preview font families on page when cycling through with the arrow keys

Please take this back

1 Like

*The font preview feature is really important

1 Like

This situation is outrageous, I can’t believe we have been forced to deal with this for so long.

Who thought it was a good idea to remove accessibility from such a critical part of the application? Having to precision click to switch a font for preview is DRIVING ME INSANE.

Keep the damn window open at the very least, it’s aggravating.

In “Figma Learn” there is mention of this feature, and you can see how the window that appears is detached from the sidebar, something that you can do currently… but the thing works like it’s a dropdown.

You click it, and it closes. Leaving it open at the very least sounds like the bare minimum.

3 Likes

Related issue, possible parent for all condensed feedback:

Bring back Font Canvas Preview - Share an idea - Figma Community Forum

1 Like

Related issue, possible parent for all condensed feedback:

Bring back Font Canvas Preview - Share an idea - Figma Community Forum

Update: This post was yanked from another thread into this one and context is somewhat lost. I’m not going to work on fixing the links.

I went ahead and found all the related entries to this issue, and added backlinks to keep all feedback condensed. It’s been over a month and this feature has disrupted how a lot of designers work.

1. Can’t cycle fonts with arrows with the new font picker - Share an idea - Figma Community Forum - 10 votes

2. Issue Font Review in New Version - Share an idea - Figma Community Forum - 1 Votes

3. Preview font families on page when cyling though with the arrow keys - Share an idea - Figma Community Forum - 10 Votes.

4. Font preview on Hover - Share an idea - Figma Community Forum - 11 votes

5. Changing the font problem - Share an idea - Figma Community Forum - 1+

6. Diffculty to switch the fonts - Share an idea - Figma Community Forum - 3

7. Please back font - text field - Share an idea - Figma Community Forum - 1

8. Font panel - unable to arrow through fonts - Share an idea - Figma Community Forum

9. Font preview in design panel - Ask the community - Figma Community Forum

10. LAUNCHED: Font picker

“Amazing” comments from Figma Representatives:

Amazing comments from Figma Users:

https://forum.figma.com/t/bring-back-font-canvas-preview/46729/4

https://forum.figma.com/t/cant-cycle-fonts-with-arrows-with-the-new-font-picker/45720/3

https://forum.figma.com/t/cant-cycle-fonts-with-arrows-with-the-new-font-picker/45720/2

2 Likes

In font picker it would be amazing if you can provide font preview on hover

Can you elaborate?
The font picker already provides a preview. You want to see the text that maybe you selected to be temporarily shown in the font under the cursor?
In a tooltip or you want the actual textfield element to be updated?

1 Like

Definitely need to be able to preview the selected text layer when hovering over the font.

1 Like

I want the text layer to be temporarily updated while you hover on any font.

And ↑↓ arrow should be used to actually select any nearest font

These features already exist in PS and AI

This is a must!! When going through lots of fonts and trying to pick one you like, there are waaayyyyyy too many clicks involved!!

1. Select your text
  2. Click on the font selector
  3. Scroll/search for font
  4. Select the new font

The font preview then closes!! So you have to click on it again if you don’t like it!

I want to be able to click on the font selector and type directly into the box, and use the arrow keys to go up and down the list without having to click into the font list again, meanwhile it should be previewing my text

Adobe does this perfectly, we shouldn’t be having to ask for this feature

2 Likes

Figma had these feature where you could select the font/text dropdown and quickly toggle between all your fonts with the arrow keys it was SO USEFUL why would they get rid of these feature?! im livid.

in the older version, we switch fonts easily through the up & down button with the preview, but now only we can see only fonts without a preview

1 Like

Came here to write this exactly. Though a small feature, It’s a massive time save. Please bring back the ability to scroll through fonts using up and down key.

Pretty Please. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup, this new font selector actually slows me down rather than being an improvement.

Hey,

Can we make this font view look like Photoshop’s text field + dropdown?

It helps the user to copy the font and doesn’t disrupt the old user flow.

Just updated to 116.10.9.

Previuosly I would select fonts in a design and simply arrow through the fonts list to live update the design. This would then be mirrored across a range of screens with different gamma, resolutions and screen reflections, some at distance.

After the latest up date I am unable to now arrow thrrough the fonts list and have the design live update. Now it takes multiple clicks to select a font.

This is a HUGE down grade to functionalty!!!

1 Like

I don’t want to spam with the same post again, so here is the link (preview does not include formatting):

Can someone, please, explain me the reasoning behind this change? Thank you.

Compiled a list of references and complaints for the current font picker:

https://forum.figma.com/t/bring-back-font-canvas-preview/46729/18

Hey @MarioRicalde, thanks for the list!

We’ve merged all of the separate topics under one to compile all the Votes and feedback from the community.

As Josh already mentioned above, our team is already working on bringing this capability back. The team just has a few aspects to improve/refine before we do. We hope to be able to provide an update soon!

1 Like