Improve Text Styles

Currently text styles allow you to do some modifiaction without breaking the text style. Change text alignment for example. It would be helpful, especially with the introduction of typograhic variables, to be able to have more options available without breaking the text style. Specifically casing; uppercase, lowercase, etc. Also text decorations like underline would be helpul as well.

My use case is that I have a multibrand design system with each brand using a different font family. For buttons, some brands use title case in the button text and other brands use uppercase. The only way I can mange this change efficiently is through swap library. I would like to use variables as thats what we are using to change color, size and spacing between brands. But without being able to change or target the capitalization option, we are stuck with using a typography only library and using swap library.

Another, and maybe better option, would be to allow a string variable to target a user specified name of a text style. that way I could have ‘brand A button text’ and a ‘brand B button text’ text style and target these names in the value fields of a string variable, similar to targeting the name of a font family.

5 Likes

Hi @James_Guest, Thank you so much for sharing your insightful thoughts on text styles and properties. Your detailed use cases are incredibly valuable to us!

I believe this idea would be beneficial for the other community members too.
We can’t wait to see how everyone else feels about it. If you’re in favor of this idea, don’t forget to give it a vote!

Thanks for being such a proactive member of our community!

I do have a similar user case too - I’d love to swap text underline case too. In a design system we use, we have a link variant; one with underline one without. We definitely want more variables in font properties.