Copy and paste SVG from Affinity Designer

Hello,
I’m thinking about to switch from Illustrator to Affinity Designer. One of the first things that I tried was copy and paste vector from Aff. Designer to Figma (copy-paste from Illustrator works fine).

SVG is pasted into Figma project, however the size of the object is always set to 1px * 1px. So, in lot of cases, it deforms pasted object.

The difference between SVG copied from Illustrator and Designer is that SVG from Illustrator has defined width and height on SVG element:
<svg width=“100px” height=“100px” …

and copied SVG from Affinity Designer looks like this:
<svg width=“100%” height=“100%” …

Any ideas how to solve this problem? I don’t want to save each SVG from Affinity before importing to Figma :frowning:

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hello, I don’t think there’s a trick to it. I recommend reaching out to the support team (via email or the in-app widget) and or create a Product ideas topic to describe your need.

@uixmate I think this is actually an Affinity Designer issue. There are different ways to write certain things in SVG and not all programs support all the different ways. From my understanding AD would need to change how they export their SVGs for Figma to import them properly.

3 Likes

I have this same problem. Would be great to paste from Affinity Designer.

If your SVG has width and height set to 100% how do you expect Figma should interpret it? Use frame size? Use fixed size like 100x100px? I don’t think this will especially useful.

This request is better be sent to Affinity Designer team, so they can integrate with Figma better.

1 Like

Thanks Constantine. Will contact Serif.

I unchecked “Set View box” and it worked, but with few adjustments.

2 Likes

There are some comparison lists how different tools handle SVG export/import and how precise they are.

Unfortunately, Affinity Designer was pretty bad back then (last time I checked, must be at least two years ago — so I don’t know about Affinity Designer V2).

The answer above yours works anyway

Guys. I think Affinity Designer 2 has fixed this problem. You can now copy from AFDesigner and past to Figma. It has funny group nesting within it but it actually is now recognised by Figma as a 1:1 vector that is editable. Give it a try!

Much love and respect for Serif for making this happen

I can’t even paste as a vector from Affinity Designer 2.2. It just pastes as an image in Figma. The options are already set to copy objects as SVG in AD. Any suggestions?

Ok never mind. Since I updated Affinity Designer it is now pasting as a vector normally.

I have a new bug with Affinity Designer (using v1.10) Copy as SVG is selected in Affinity settings, but pasting in Figma gives me an image, unless I paste it into Notes (not tried other apps yet). Once pasted into Notes (without copying it again) if I paste in Figma, it now pastes as an SVG.

This is really weird, anyone got any ideas why this might be? I don’t even know where the bug is as I’m not changing the thing that’s copied. I did just upgrade my Mac, but don’t know why that would affect this, but it worked fine on my older MBP.