Local fonts completely neglected, all of sudden

same problem, bro @Figma_Support

Same problem - what’s the work around? Our designer is using fonts which we have installed and are not somehow showing in Figma. We’ve done it all with web and desktop and cannot dive in and edit because of this. We are launching a new product and cannot collaborate in Figma where the product design exists. Needless to say really hurting our progress and abilities to meet deadline(s). Please help asap!

I selected fonts in the Figma list and they all are disappearing. Even when I find a replacement using the list it works for a little while then says it no longer exists. This is keeping me from finishing my certificate course.

1 Like

If you’re using Figma in the browser, you might just need to install or reinstall the Font Installer, found here: https://www.figma.com/downloads

You might just need the browser extension. Check out my comment here: Local fonts completely neglected, all of sudden - #46 by Jacob_Fletcher

The problem is not a browser. The problem is related to the Figma app. There many people affected by having Fonts installed correctly. All my other software see the fonts as well as using them without issue, except Figma that cant even see the fonts. Could this be permission issue that is caused by Windows somehow? . Is there any fix for this? @Figma_Support

Same is happening to me. I have selected Poppins font and then after a minute it told me the Poppins is not available.

Almost a year has passed since the topic was started, and the problem is still not solved.
@Figma_Support

1 Like

I keep facing this problem over and over again. Figma team, any eta when it will be solved? Maybe any ideas how to solve it?

@Figma_Support
I’ve been experiencing this for a period of time and I even can’t load Arial in my Figma (Web) :frowning:

I could solve that issue by installing the Font installers like @tank666 already mention it. This might be considered as a workaround but at least I can now continue working with Figma in my web browser.
Sorry for reposting that solution once again, but since this was some times ago now I think it could still help some people.

I was having the same problem with Figma not seeing the local fonts. The main problem was seemingly something with FontBase since it was the font manager I was using.

Installing fonts directly(and as a shortcut) worked just fine. Yet with Fontbase, there was a problem specifically with Figma, since in Photoshop they worked just fine.

The solution that worked for me is a mix of uninstalling all the versions of the font manager in this case Fontbase and updating the windows. The solution took effect after I updated the windows.

Yet I’m not sure if it’s because it cleaned up the old/cached files that I deleted or just something in Windows itself.

I was having the exact same problem too with Figma for missing some fonts after some light rest.

Reinstalling Figma’s Font Agent was the working solution for me, well. Hope this helps :raised_hands:

1 Like

Just wanted to bump this thread.
Yesterday I opened my PC with Windows 11 and tried to work in my portfolio. All my fonts were gone, and not showing in the Installed By You section.
I discovered that reinstalling the fonts made them appear for a while. But they would be gone next time I opened Figma.

I tried:

• Using a font manager like fontbase to quickly activate/deactivate fonts. Didn’t work
  • Executing Figma in Admin mode. Didn’t work.
  • Figma Beta. Didn’t work.
  • Figma web + Font Installer. Nope.

My installed fonts appear in all other software. So I’m guessing Figma desktop app has trouble accessing my font folder for some reason?

As many mentioned above, this is slowing my workflow quite a bit.

1 Like

Hey everyone! I’m the same guy of the previous reply, but writing from my personal account.

For anyone having issues with fonts, I found a workaround. Albeit a weird one. The best part of this is that it works with FontBase. :grinning:

1. Create a new folder directly in your C: unit for your fonts. Name it however you’d like. Move your desired fonts there.
  2. Open FontBase, set your root folder to the one from the previous step. Example: C:\FontBase
  3. Activate your fonts. Keep the program open.
  4. Navigate to C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Roaming\Figma
  5. Delete files “font_cache.json”, “desktop_state.json”, and “settings.json”. Don’t worry, these will be created again when you open figma.
  6. Open Figma
  7. Your fonts should appear when you search for them, although not on the Installed by You section
  8. Done! I tried restarting and fonts still appear, as long as FontBase is open of course.

My guess is that by having a more direct path, Figma can locate your custom fonts more easily. Normally fonts are in C:\Windows\Fonts which isn’t a long path if you ask me, but maybe there’s a permission thing going on for not-system fonts.

Hope it helps.

3 Likes

I’ve just followed Omar’s instructions and I’m now seeing the local font I needed for my current project. Will see how it goes activating other fonts using Fontbase + Figma

2 Likes

Same is happening to me.
Suddenly showed “missing fonts” when I double click the text to edit. (Both Desktop app and Browser app)

I tried:

• Restart Figma
  • Restart Macbook
  • Reinstall Figma
  • Clear font cache
  • Restored fonts that came with my Mac
  • Install Font installers
    but none of them worked

I’m not sure if this is due to update to the latest version, but my Figma is the latest. (version 116.11.1)
Does anyone have the same experience and know how to fix this?
@Omar_Guillermo1 ’s instructions is only for Windows right?

Hi @Komeda_Kiyoko ,
If you’ve recently installed the Font Helper or a new font, you won’t see those changes in Figma immediately. Quit and restart the desktop app or refresh the browser app you’re using to access Figma.

Also, please make sure the Figma font service is installed and working (browser only).
You need to install the Figma font service to use your local fonts in Figma’s browser app. To confirm it’s working:

1. Make sure either the Figma Daemon, Figma Font Helper, or Font Service is running on your computer’s activity monitor.

Then, you have to select another font in your missing fonts modal (cf. your screenshot)/
The missing fonts modal allows you to quickly update affected text layers. You can use this approach to select an alternative font to use in your files. Updating the font applies to everyone in the file, not just you.

1. Click in the top-right corner of the toolbar.
  2. View a list of fonts and styles that are missing or unavailable in this file:
  3. Use the dropdown fields below Replacement to update the family and style for each missing font. Figma will only show you fonts available to you.
  4. Click Replace fonts to complete the process. All text objects in the file will be updated to the new fonts.

Hope it helps!

Hi @Celine_Figma, thank you so much for your instruction.

If you’ve recently installed the Font Helper or a new font, you won’t see those changes in Figma immediately.

I haven’t installed new fonts. The fonts missing in Figma right now are Helvetica and Hiragino that are default installed fonts in my Mac. I’ve been using them in Figma for a long time, but today they are missing suddenly. (They are still in my local of course)
Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 23.23.32

Quit and restart the desktop app or refresh the browser app you’re using to access Figma.

I tried to restart and even reinstalled Figma app, but it didn’t work.

Also, please make sure the Figma font service is installed and working (browser only).

I installed Font installers, but it didn’t work.

Go to the Fonts section in your account settings to see if the font service is installed on your current device.

This is my account settings, it looks a bit different from your screenshot. I can’t see Fonts section for some reason. Do you know how to solve this?

Make sure either the Figma Daemon, Figma Font Helper, or Font Service is running on your computer’s activity monitor.

Will you please tell me how I can see if the Figma Daemon, Figma Font Helper, or Font Service is running on my computer?

Thanks for the details! It looks like a bug, you should be able to use it as they are default fonts provided by Figma. I can’t replicate on my end. Could you please contact directly to the support team here? https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

They can have a deeper look into what’s causing this. Please also indicate all the different steps you did and the fonts names that don’t work. Sorry for the trouble!

1 Like