Enable/Disable comments

I don’t think branches are a solution for this issue. Hiding yourself within a branch is only a temporary band-aid and not a solution to the need that @ThiagoCarvalho brought up.
Disabling comments doesn’t necessarily mean hiding your work.

Agree, branching is excellent in theory, but cumbersome in practice given that it creates a management aspect of file version control. Locking/unlocking comments (not hiding) would be a huge benefit to my group because it’s about the state of the work itself, not the version of the file. Locked = not ready for feedback; Unlocked = ready for your valuable insights.

Maybe we should just create a Review mode? There’s one for Dev, why not one for external feedback and signoff? Use branching capabilities under the covers, but just call it “Review” and make only one branch at a time. Open review, Close review (which is essentially to review changed from the branch and check them in).

1 Like

Yes please! I am often receiving comments on a Figma design after the design is considered complete. (Such as an email that has already gone to Development and been built in HTML).
Need a way of locking comments in a Figma file after the design phase is considered complete!

1 Like

yes absolutely need this

another feature I wish figma has is a way to differentiate team feedback vs client feedback. When sharing a link with clients or leadership, internal team comments should be hidden. Not having any ability to disable or restrict commenting access only forces the whole team to not use the figma commenting feature ever.

1 Like

+1. comments also tricky to manage with autolayout. clients slapping comments all over the place which then don’t move with the elements.

Yes, please! This would be great to help manage client relationships.

Oh yes, please. I have built and now maintain component libraries, and despite my instructions on reporting issues, the designers place comments everywhere. It’s driving me insane. I would love to switch off comments for my library files!

1 Like

Yes, comments are a terrible way to review designs and disrupt work. There should really be a way to disable comments.

Keeping this topic alive, to keep the dream alive.

2 Likes

You should Absolutely Never work on a live Figma file that your client can see.
Make a 2nd page called Creative Round 2 that the client cant see where you will make updates from Round 1.
Share that new one when their comments are updated. Continue this process & you will be able to go back and view versions & progress.
The problem in this thread is self afflicted.

The “hide” comments is a good feature while that design is still a work in progress so there is not distractions or overlays on screen.

However, when a page has marked as “signed-off” / “ready for devs”, Figma should allow a “disable” feature so NO ONE with access to that specific page would be able to add further comments.

That would help (a lot) when designs are in development stage, so that specific page is “blocked” from further comments or updates. It also helps with traceability and records of released version.

3 Likes

+1 here: we use Figma for educational purposes and our templates get quite often vandalised by our students :smiley:

+1. Me, as a PM, I’d like to remove commenting, because I want to keep comments in our ticketing system (otherwise some Figma comments get lost, which is a problem).

I’d wish instead a “pin link” feature were I could point to a specific point in the file from a link, so I can leave a comment in any platform and get a direct link to the thing I’m referring to.

2 Likes

Yes please!!! Really need this feature!!!

+1, being able to disable and re-enable comments would be very helpful for collaborating with clients!

Push this LIVE ASAP!!!

Agreed. The ability to disable comments, therefore making the Figma file read-only for a anyone who has “can view” access, would be really beneficial :pray:

2 Likes

Disable comments so that certain files are “View-Only”. I share my file with thousands of students & I don’t want them to comment on the Figma file. I just want them to view the file & duplicate it to their draft

I can’t imagine that such service like Figma doesn’t have this feature. It’s so obvious that you want to share file with public and not get tons of comments you can’t control. And it’s been 2 years already and they don’t even give the estimate on when they plan to build this. Very disappointed! Will check Miro and Mural if they have that feature!

1 Like