Why are there assets to publish that have not changed?

I’m having trouble keeping my system file up to date. It seems like there are always updates to be made without having changed (or touched) components.

Any ideas how or why this happens?

5 Likes

+1. I change one icon in my library and when I Publish the change, the file takes a minute to publish because 50 other icons get published too. Makes me not want to make changes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

+1.

I have this problem too. Does Figma track clicking something as a change?

This happens to me so often that I swear Figma calls something changed if I so much as think about it. It’s maddening because your only recourse is to either

• a) publish it anyway, with a note saying “Sorry for the update, there are no changes,” or
  • b) don’t publish it, and let it languish forever in your list of components that you always have to uncheck.

I don’t mind Figma being twitchy about what’s changed - better safe than sorry - but I do mind not being able to roll back inadvertent changes by saying “Revert this component back to its last published state.” It’s my hope, now that Branches is an established feature, they’ll incorporate branches into component pushing, so that - like developers - we can see what’s different between the current state and the published state. And then, if we want, say “Nope, I don’t want this, undo it back to what it was.”

4 Likes

This may not fix your issue, but I figured I’d share since it seems releated.

There may or may not be a bug here on the Desktop client (Mac). I saw this same issue Feb 3rd 2022, where I had 8 component changes, but when I went to publish, the library showed there were hundreds of changes made that needed to be pushed. (Basically every component seemed to have changed). I started considering a rollback or other alternatives, then after a reboot of my system and restarting figma, I looked again and the changes only displayed the 8 changes I made. So, it may have been something that was out of sync, which was corrected due to the restart of figma; I doubt rebooting my computer had anything to do with it.

Another thing I could have tried is looking at figma in the web browser vs. desktop, which may have fetched a non-cached instance. I wasn’t able to test this since the issue corrected itself, but if you find yourself in this situation when publishing the library, try those steps.

This just happened to me. I’ve seen the little quirks with it wanting to keep publishing single updates that weren’t updates, but this morning it tells me there are 114 unpublished updates, which is just bizarre. There’s no way I made 114 changes to all my UI components.

+1. Have twice recently found Figma saying that there are changes that have been made and need to be published immediately after I have published changes. And after the next publish no updates to said items appear in the accept from main popup.

I’m experiencing this as well, but with the browser version of the platform. Has anyone figured out what’s happening?

+1 Not the end of the world, but not reassuring.Makes it hard to be disciplined about change management with the team. I never know what’s really changed vs. what Figma is reporting as changed.

The only way that I was able to remove them from always being “modified” was to actually modify and publish the changes. I went to each component or variant set and checked or unchecked “Simplify All Instances”. The published. Now it’s good.

+10

1 update = 425 published components :~0

Same here. Why

+1. This is something I noticed quite a while ago, and already invested loads of time trying to understand…

I have a guess that a “change” is recorded even with a simple click by one of the library editors. Moving position of the components also seems to be recorded as a change…

Hey All,

This is issue seems to be case by case. Please submit a bug report to our support team directly via the form here: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001744374

Be sure to use the email address associated with your Figma account, provide a direct link to the file(s), and invite support-share@figma.com with “can edit” permission so support can look into it.