"While hovering" state for variable is not working

Same for me. Seems such a basic thing not to have

1 Like

So many people facing issue and still not fixed, too bad.

1 Like

Last year when I submitted this Support reached out to me and I sent a video of the behavior. They confirmed it was a defect - but it seems like it’s not been fixed yet.

I just tried this feature and hover-off does not remove the variable. Please fix, it would save a ton of variants in a component file.

Same problem here. When a state changes using variables the state remains on hover. Really annoying :confused:

Hey All, thanks for the feedback and sorry for the delayed reply!

We checked with our Prototyping team and this is currently the expected behavior.

For “while hovering” interactions with variables, we don’t save the previous value of the parameter to go back to, because that would add complexity in determining what that previous value should be. For some cases it’s simple, but if many interactions have occurred, it’s a bit harder.

As a workaround, we recommend implementing with mouse in and mouse out actions. The mouse in would set the variable as shown, and the mouse out would manually specify the value you want it go to after hover.

That also doesn’t seem to revert but maybe I am doing something wrong?

Ex. If you have Inactive (base variant) and Active variant of a field input…

• Place the Inactive variant
  • Set Mouse Enter to the Active variant
  • Set Mouse Leave to the original Inactive variant
  • View in the prototype, it retains the Active variant only, even on Mouse Leave

EDIT: This is actually using variants because variable colors weren’t changing for me but I think this demonstrates the issue I’m experiencing with Mouse Leave.

EDIT 2: Oh wait this is now working for me with color variables! Yay! Thank y’all for the help. Would love for this to work with variants too but that seems like a separate issue.

1 Like

This happens for me too. When changing a variable (for me a number) while hovering, it doesn’t revert to the original state when you leave the hover, even when adding a mouse-leave interaction to set the variable to the original variable.
I have a number variable - ‘shown state’ set to hidden = 0, show = 129, and have set a while hovering interaction to set the shown state to 129, with the original value being 0 on it’s height. It expands in height to 129px while hovering, but does not revert to 0 when not hovering and on mouse leave. It’s extremely frustating.

1 Like

Maybe it’s an idea to leave out functionality that doesn’t work in Figma. So Figma users don’t get frustrated and die trying :triumph:

6 Likes

Flagging that with more complex prototypes, using mouse in and mouse out still doesn’t have consistent hover behavior, and often the hover states will remain active even if mouse out has happened.

2 Likes

Just to keep this issue alive will add that I have same issue.

2 Likes

Is it still not be fixed? Mouse enter and leave also doesn’t work to me T.T is there anyone have some idea to create the similar functions instead of? Thanks in advanced.

1 Like

same problem here