SOLVED - Issue with Screen Sharing on Google Meet using Figma on MAC

Hello Figma community!

I’m currently experiencing an issue when trying to share the Figma screen during my presentations on Google Meet using my MAC. When I share the Figma window, the screen freezes on the initial view, and to update it, I have to put Figma in full-screen mode.

I would like to know if anyone has encountered this situation and if there’s any configuration or solution to allow me to present my project without the need to go into full-screen mode. This issue has been a challenge in my meetings, and I appreciate any suggestions or guidance you can provide.

Thank you in advance for the collaboration of the Figma community!

21 Likes

I’ve been experiencing the same problem for about a month. I can share every app window except Figma, as it freezes upon startup. I’ve tried this on Arc, Chrome, and Safari, but none of them work. This issue only occurs with the Desktop app; I can share a Chrome tab with Figma open without any problems.

4 Likes

It sounds like you’ve done a thorough investigation into the issue, resetting Chrome settings and reviewing both Figma and Chrome configurations. It’s interesting to note that the freezing occurs when Figma opens an overlay and that the problem seems to be specific to your machine or software setup.

You’ve also mentioned that the freezing issue didn’t occur when your client tested it. It’s indeed perplexing and leaves you wondering what might be different on your end.

As a temporary measure, you’ve resorted to keeping the Figma preview screen in full-screen mode, which partially resolves the problem but doesn’t provide a complete solution.

In your message to the Figma developers, you’re expressing your curiosity and frustration, asking if there’s any solution to this issue. It might be helpful to provide specific details about your operating system version, Figma version, and any other relevant information to assist them in diagnosing the problem.

I hope you find a resolution soon!

1 Like

The same issue here. When trying to share Figma app via Google Meet, it’s often frozen, and it’s not possible to jump between tabs (files) in Figma. Previously it worked without any problems.

Google Meet via Chrome (up to date)
Figma via app (up to date)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)

2 Likes

Having the same problem these 2 days. Does anyone know if it’s a mac or Figma issue?

2 Likes

I haven’t reached a conclusion yet. But one thing I know for sure is that the issue doesn’t occur on my client’s machine (also a MAC). I’ll try to check with him the MAC settings and the versions of the Operating System and Figma.

1 Like

There is something wrong with the desktop version of Figma. This is the only app that does not work with Google Meet sharing.

3 Likes

Same issue for me as well. Not sure what the solution is but there is an issue.

3 Likes

Same here. We have to use Chrome for presenting files as a temporary workaround.

3 Likes

I have been having the same issue for about a month. I can share from a Chrome tab, but if I try to screen share from the Figma desktop app in Google Meet, the Figma freezes.

The interesting thing is that for me, my actual Figma file doesn’t freeze, but the view that the Google Meet sees is freezing. This leads me to think it’s a Google Meet issue perhaps?

2 Likes

I’m not entirely sure… I feel like I’m in the midst of a Western movie, shooting in all directions to save myself. :grinning: :grinning: The only temporary solution I’ve found so far is to keep the Figma screen in full-screen mode. However, then I have to share the entire screen on Google Meet… which is quite inconvenient.

1 Like

This is definitely a real thing. First started seeing it in Arc and thought it was a browser issue. Subsequently experienced the same thing in Chrome and Safari. Across multiple machines too. Guess Figma in the browser or full screen in the desktop app will be the way to present for now.

2 Likes

I just encountered the same issue running Sonoma 14.2.1 on a MacBook Pro using Figma 116.15.4 and Chrome 120.0.6099.199.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
Thanks for flagging this! Hmm, not sure where the issue comes from as we are not aware of this issue internally. To cover some basics, would you mind trying to clear out your app cache and check if this helps?

For Mac:
Use the Terminal app to clear the cache.

1. Quit the Figma desktop app.
  2. Open the Terminal.app and enter the following command: rm -rf "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Figma/"{Desktop,DesktopProfile}
  3. Try opening the Figma desktop app again.

If this doesn’t help, I’d suggest you to reach out directly to the support team so we can investigate it further here: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Be sure to use your Figma account email, include a link to the file, and share it with support-share@figma.com so they can take a closer look. Thank you!

3 Likes

Hey I work on screen sharing for Slack Huddles and we have had this exact issue reported a lot in the last week from our Mac users, that the Figma app will freeze when it is shared.

I’m also able to reproduce the problem myself with Slack Huddles, Google Meet and other Chromium based applications.
On our end we can’t fix it however as it seems the Figma app window is becoming unavailable somehow after it is shared.
I’m happy to provide any additional information that can help you out.

2 Likes

It worked for me, thanks!

1 Like

It doesn.t worked for me :frowning:

1 Like

Unfortunately, this isn’t working for me. I’ve also tried reinstalling the desktop app, but the problem still persists.

1 Like

I’m also experiencing this issue on:

• Google meet screen sharing
  • Slack huddle screen sharing
  • Slack video clip recording

Which makes me think that the issue is with Figma specifically.

Workarounds I’ve found are:

• Share entire screen rather than window
  • Share browser window rather than Figma window

I’m guessing this is tied to an update Figma has made. Not ideal!

2 Likes

Same issue here.

1 Like