Match variable mode name

Hi there,

I’d like Figma to detect when variables in a given Frame share the same modes, and only offer one dropdown to switch (or auto switch from the parent).

Let me explain:

• Today, if you create a file (or Collection) A, with a variable color that has two modes, for instance color{light, dark}, and another file, or collection B, with another color-2{light, dark}
  • Figma will not detect that they have a similar mode and will present two mode switchers, one for each color (see below)

I’d like Figma to detect that those Collections share the same mode structure and group them in a single mode switch. It would be particularly useful for cases where you have items from several different brands in a single Frame but want to switch it easily to light or dark mode (a notion that all brand share).

Hope that’s clear! (and it might all be made irrelevent by Extended collections…)

2 Likes

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your idea! We greatly value your feedback, and we would like to gauge the reaction of other members in the community. We may consider it for future enhancements!

Thanks,
Toku

Thank you.

Building up on my initial post, although I understand why mode matching across files isn’t possible, I really don’t understand why shared modes across different Collections of a single file don’t match.

Citing the Figma documentation:

Collections can be used to organize related variables together. For example, use one collection to localize text in different languages, and another collection for spatial values.

Doing exactly that, and applying a mode to both collections (that they share, for instance different brands sharing the same components), Figma will actually display a mode switcher for each Collection, making them useless!

2 Likes

yes please :pray: