Issue with .png transparent backgrounds

I’m having the same issue! Confirmed that the PNG has a transparent background, every time I import it (either through importing media or just dragging the file) it has a white background instead of transparent.

@Emily25 Hmm…I did some testing on my end, and importing .png files with transparent backgrounds work as expected on my end. I tried this both by copy + pasting, as well as dragging + dropping onto the canvas.

Is it just one particular image, or is this on all .png images you’re trying to import?

@ksn So far it’s been all .png images I’ve tried, including via copying and pasting. I’m using Google Chrome on a Macbook, version 123.0.6312.107. Is there any other info I can provide that would be useful?

Is this just when using Figma on the web? Have you had the opportunity to try importing while using the Figma desktop app or any other browser? No worries if you haven’t – just trying to eliminate possibilities. I can check with the support team to see if they have any suggestions.

EDIT: I also created a new topic with our convo, since the other one was outdated.

Same problem over here, on FigJam specifically! PNGs are imported with a white ‘square’ behind them. I was wondering if PNG transparency is supported at all on FigJam boards.

@Kayla7 I think this may be because transparency isn’t persisting when pasted into other programs – this may be a bit unorthodox, but can you try converting the .png file you have > pdf?

Then try dropping that export into FigJam. Curious to see if that will work for you.

1 Like

Can’t believe it’s worked! Thank you so much, this solution works for now - though it’s a bit of an odd fix. Haha. Seems like PNGs are rasters so they aren’t as vector-friendly as the PDF.

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: glad that helped! it’s probably not the ideal way to go about that for FigJam (in most situations), but can be an alternative for the moment. I’ve flagged this for review on my end to see if there can be improvements looked into* in the future.

Also @Emily25 – I’m checking in with support on this. Also, my bad, I should’ve have asked for clarification on this earlier, but is it an issue in both Figma and FigJam for you?

OH @Kayla7 wanted to circle back again because I forgot to check something before I went the long route with the .png files.

Do you have this option available when you drop a .png into FigJam? You should be able to click that and have the background be transparent again.

I immediately jumped to the assumption that option wasn’t there for you :woman_facepalming:t2: THAT would be ideal, I think.
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 7.55.55 AM

2 Likes

The image border feature fixed the issue for me.

2 Likes