ESC key to back out 1 level

As a Figma user, I need to be able to select the parent entity of a group/frame/etc.

Today’s solution: apart from selecting a parent layer with the mouse in the left hand layer menu, I can select the parent by pressing Shift + Enter.

Problem: I need to let go of the mouse with my right hand in order to reach the Enter-key. This creates a disturbance in the creative flow (have to let go of the mouse, need to stare down at the keyboard, etc).

Suggested future solution: add the possibility to press the Escape-key to select the parent layer measured from whatever I have selected in the layer panel. Additional Escape-key press:es steps up in the hierarchy. Benefits is that I still can have the right hand placed on the mouse for movement etc.

I am sure that “the other UI-design software” has this implemented, and it works great. Please consider to implement this, at least like an option for the user.

Thanks,
Markus

4 Likes

They’re pretty sure they’ve got this issue nailed down tight with their shift+enter solution. I disagree, as it continues to interrupt my workflow - constantly - in just the way you (and others) describe.
The makers of Figma are clearly smart, dedicated folks, but I think they got this one wrong.

1 Like

YOU ARE AMAZING. Thank you for sharing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Currently ESC deselects everything but I think it is more intuitive to move up a layer.

In Xd, pressing ESC moves you up/out a layer which I find useful for selecting containers and frames.

My habit is to ctrl-click into the object then escape until I have the correct frame selected.

Perhaps I am expecting Figma to function like other tools, if there is an intended way to select frames/containers quicker than clicking the layers panel on the left I would appreciate the support.

Thanks
Tom

Edit 02.03.2022 - I have changed my mind. Adjusting to shift-enter was not too bad and now I have become accustom to using that shortcut, it is a slight inconvience to have to take my hand off my mouse but it works fine.

I agree with you. Figma, however, disagrees.

Make “escape” just move up a layer. We can already click on an “empty” zone to deselect. The Enter+shift hotkey is trash and pretending like it’s solved because there is a bad hotkey to do this is fascist.

Given the massive number of layers that can be generated with large projects, and the way designs tools like Figma, XD, and others nest layers, managing and working with the Layers panel has become a chore in itself.

As seen in this thread alone, many designers are loudly telling Figma we desire a simpler means to navigate through layers. Whether that’s using the ESC key – a technique used by competitors (tools we’ve migrated from) – or Command+Click to toggle through overlapping layers, a more natural solution is needed. Conceptually this makes sense: When you are working “inside” a group of layers nested inside an auto-layout nested inside a frame, a designer’s instinct is often to “back out” and return to a level higher-up (but not out) of the set.

Using a single key (ESC) is faster and more natural for something as simple as up-leveling out of layer sets. Pressing multiple keys, like Shift+Command+K to insert an image or Shift+Enter to jump all the way back to the parent layer group, is more of a committed act. Jumping through layers happens so often it’s almost unconscious, and a single key command would produce a better UX.

1 Like

I’d also love to be able to use esc to go up a level, since I have years of muscle memory behind that behavior. Glad to hear that Shift + Enter is possible though. FWIW, there’s a Shift key directly under the Enter key, at least on English keyboards, so I’m hoping it’s not too bad to just slide my left hand over and hit them both with one hand. And that has the side benefit of making it easy to go back down a level if I back out too far by using Enter without Shift.

1 Like

I realize this thread is a bit older, but it’s the one I found when I first started trying to troubleshoot this issue myself. There is a solution, thank goodness.

By default, \ is keyboard shortcut to select a parent. You can change that keybinding in the keyboard shortcut panel within the Selection tab:

See here how to access the keyboard shortcuts panel:
https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040328653-Use-shortcuts-and-quick-actions#Open_the_keyboard_shortcuts_panel

1 Like

Edit: apparently you can’t change the keybinding. I’m also perplexed by the purpose of the blue highlights…maybe it’s just showing the shortcuts you’ve used to quickly show the ones you have yet to discover? Weird, but ok.