All plans should offer more than 4 variable modes

Modes shouldn’t be limited on paid plans! For those who need unlimited modes this limitation makes the entire setup useless.
Why should an organization invest this much time and effort and money and not be able to serve client designs with modes?
Even 40 is not enough for an agency or a white label SaaS product.

Please remove modes limitation altogether!

3 Likes

Another day of me asking for MORE MODES PLEASEEE the work arounds are messy and endless

2 Likes

Just ran into this problem again for creating custom color modes for whitelabel clients.
4 modes are a joke. at least double that for professional or if you want to milk us make additional modes an upgrade package for a few bucks.
95% of the freelancers don’t need all the other feature of an enterprise option.

5 Likes

It literally feels like we’re screaming into a void here. This is such a pain point for so many people and no one from Figma even deems it important enough to chirp in.

4 Likes

Totally agree !!!

1 Like

Can the mods or @RizePoint_Product add “variable” tag on this thread?

1 Like

If this is all a question about dev mode, then let us at least be able, as designers, to use variables (unlimited) to help us cut down on time wasted on creating multiple copies of styles and tons of component variants, tweaking minute things to satisfy variables in language, breakpoints, colour schemes, etc. Then, could you unlock the developer stuff separately?

2 Likes

Sad to see Figma doesn’t seem to care about their users’ real needs. I’m losing my mind trying to make the 4 modes work for a responsive setup. And it probably will never work as intended.
Rest assured, most freelancers and small to medium companies will never pay for the enterprise plan just to have more modes. The price per seat is absurd and they probably don’t need any of the other features in that plan. What will happen is designers from those companies will start to look for better alternatives and pitch them to their “head of”. Remember what happened to Sketch?.. I do! If you don’t solve this issue soon, someone else will. I’m very disappointed with Figma and won’t think twice about switching tools.

7 Likes

heeey!! Just me again asking for more modes for ALL plans not just professional - this is something that would greatly alleviate the pains of building a design system with variables. WE have a million compounded collections to make up for the lack of modes and its reallllllly painful

4 Likes

Team - I love you I love that you care about your product. I am literally just begging for unlimited modes on all plans, also focus on variables and making changes to them (better search, re-organizing, more scoping, potentially adding photos or icons). Variables have been a GAME CHANGER for our clients workflow but they will NEVER pay more money to give us more modes, along with my freelancing career I could not even afford to pay for more modes. Also - we do not need dev mode. JUST VARIABLE MODES and better variable functionality. If we could do that I would be so grateful. AGAIN - thank you all for your hard work but PLEASE

1 Like

Same situation for us. We don’t need 100s of modes but 4 is definitely not enough. We are currently on the professional team plan, and I thought upgrading to Organization plan, which would double our cost, would give us more modes, but no, it is the same with only 4 modes??? We have to more than quadruple our cost to go beyond 4 modes… Please raise the cap on modes for organization to something that reflects the price increase. Maybe like 10 or 15 modes.

Thanks!

2 Likes

40 modes should be the standard and not the exception for higher level plans - this should be open to any free or paid license. If you want to go in sane sure then 40+ is for people who pay…

2 Likes

It seems Figma really likes to push competitors like Penpot by still being a lazy ass product not fixing their core features.

6 Likes

Just echoing everyone’s sentiment. Modes are a constant pain point in our design handoff because we can’t define more than 4 breakpoints without the hacks mentioned above.

We are a 2-person design team supporting 20+ engineers on the Organization plan. There is absolutely no way our Organization is going to pay to upgrade everyone just so that one designer can access more than 4 Modes.

7 Likes

If this sheds any light on their mindset for applying features to pricing, I just recently took a survey aimed at Figma Admins. The options they presented in order to assess my preference for what plan tiers include looked like utter chaos to me. Like if these could be close to actual options they’re considering—they’d be COMPLETELY out of touch with what people want and would be willing to pay for, regarding a design tool.

If someone in charge at Figma comes to their senses, maybe this Modes and other terrible attempts at cash grabbing could be resolved. But if they keep going how they’ve been and how they appear to be grasping at straws in this survey, I have very little hope they’ll avoid losing a lot of customers to competitive apps that catch up to and surpass Figma with better value.

6 Likes

What were the options?

I doubt I’d be allowed to repeat them anywhere and even if I was, they were too numerous to remember distinctly. So just picture all random combinations of feature tiers from nothing to everything and price from current to ludicrous.

Granted it was probably this way to logically determine price and feature bucket importance in a way similar to personality tests. But at the same time, it was disturbing to see carefree combinations thrown together into real looking plans that were otherwise utterly unrealistic.

1 Like

@Hoby-Van-Hoose Interesting. Did they make the survey to see if people can get confused so much with their plans and features that they don’t realize they are overpaying for no reason? We are just a small team with Pro plan since 3 years and I maintain as the Team Owner. I cannot even imagine how confusing this sh** could get when you’re an Admin in an Org or Enterprise tier team.

1 Like

@dennsi I assume their purpose was to help executives get current information on what their customers value in plans, between features and price.

It could be for any number of other motivations. How it was presented though, just made me think of this meme:

meme-no-idea

4 Likes