Add conditions to interactive components

bump this thread. really a useful feature.

For example, I have several text inputs on the screen, and these inputs have a dynamic state (default / active)
in prototype I need to use “radio button pattern” when only one input can be active.
also I need to create more than one starting prototype point on a screen for using same screens for different flows

Axure has one of the best no code event handling I have used. Its also has variables that can hold state - basically cookies on the page.

1 Like

I work in Fintech and we constantly have need to prototype user flows that get our users into correct pricing structures or SKUs we offer. We do this through a series of GTKM (Get To Know Me) tiles/radio buttons/checkboxes that users select so we can craft a custom product based on their unique financial situations. The in-house team created an MVP to do this that allows our product designers or product managers to create prototypes that set variables and apply conditional logic to elements on screens that we then take into users testing to gather data and feedback on. However, while our in-house solution works making this available in Figma would greatly improve our work flows.

1 Like

I agree with you if this feature happen.

1 Like

Conditionals is specifically why I’ve been using ProtoPie (along with its support for mobile sensors) as opposed to Figma. My use case is ‘gamified’ interactions, e.g. the user drags sorts objects into different locations to advance to the next screen.

Hello, I voted on this too.

I am currently building a prototype containing nested Checkboxes which act as Content Filters. (rather classic stuff)

Part of the UX is that if at least one, but not all Children of a Parent Checkbox is checked, that Parent Checkbox gets an Indeterminate state.

To achieve something demo-able, I’ve have had to create ALL possible scenarios where Child 1 is checked, but not Child 2 and vice versa. (I’ve limited the Component to 2 Children Checkboxes in order to keep my sanity)

If I had been able to tell the Parent Checkbox to look at the State its Children instead, it would have been a breeze.

2 Likes

Conditionals and variables are why I am sticking with Axure and not moving to Figma. It needs these before its ready for more serious prototyping. My team has become accustomed to the fully interactive prototypes from Axure; Figma would be a step backwards in terms of prototyping fidelity. Really looking forward to this feature!

4 Likes

Conditions and variables would help a lot doing a quiz prototype. Or at least let an interactive component changing the state of other interactive, with options to change to a specific state or to just go to the “next” or “prev” state to add value. Like a score counter.

2 Likes

I support this - other tools are doing it and it makes Figma seem too simple by comparison. e.g. items appearing when a user scrolls, certain fields or checkboxes being required to continue. It would ideally come with input fields that users can fill out, and that input datapoint should be referenced elsewhere. For example, when a user adds their name and email, that we can reference that name and email in the dashboard.

2 Likes

I agree, conditional logic is really important to have. No one wants to, or has time to create screens for every possible scenario when a simple bit of logic can serve up the correct state. PLEASE, Please, please add this to Figma.

4 Likes

Yes! Please, please add this. I’m prototyping a Next Best Action model and there’s so much conditional logic at play that my current project’s becoming super unwieldy to manage.

2 Likes

Hi! I am interesting in this issue. Any suggestion? I have not found any solution for this, anything except to create every scenario duplicating screens.

Still thinking?

This is seriously needed. I’m torn between continuing to use Axure for a company project and moving everything to Figma. The design experience of Axure sucks; yet the prototyping is just so powerful in the face of what other software offers. Figma’s already grown so much, and if the team were to take this on this application would become a HUGE cut above the rest.

Same use case for me… triggering an error message when not all the form fields are complete - and making the submit / next button conditional on all required fields being filled out during user-testing. :slight_smile: So I echo that this would be a handy feature to make prototype flows more realistic

Basically, just rip this feature off UXPin (and make it work more smoothly). I remember I used to make protos in UXPin that were very very close to a finished product, however that software is (was?) so glitchy that I couldn’t bother anymore.

Conditions are crucial to some features to make sense at all, so it certainly would be nice to be able to test them too properly, before a single of code is written…

Piling on here to say radio buttons are a strong example of why conditions would be valuable. Since in a list of radio options only a single option can be selected at a time, conditions would allow the selected radio option to know that another option was selected and deselect itself.

1 Like

A use case I’m currently dealing with: clicking a button on an alert should send the user to a different page depending on what object they clicked to trigger the alert. Currently the only way to do this would be to create an instance of the alert for each trigger, then wire the button on each alert to the corresponding page. Some basic if/then conditioning would eliminate the need for all these copies/manual effort.

Can you show us a short example as a series of image transitions (A->B->C etc.), or an animated GIF? It’s a bit hard for me to understand what you are referring to.

In prototyping mode it would be great to be able to trigger “change to” for elements by conditionally connecting them to other elements and interactions.