Why when I import SVG, it turns into an image not a vector?

When I import an SVG from Photoshop into Figma (either by dragging it into Figma or “place image”), it doesn’t import as a vector it becomes an image. I want the SVG to be a vector. Is this happening because I’m saving it incorrectly in Photoshop or because I am importing it incorrectly?

You are probably saving a raster image embedded into the SVG format.

1 Like

okay, thank you!

Could you please explain the raster problem further? Does the color format matter? I am having the same issue (SVG files appear in Figma as an image within a frame, not as a vector) with SVGs from multiple sources.

1 Like

SVG is a container format that may contain multiple things:

• Vector paths
  • Vector shapes
  • Text
  • Raster images

If you save a raster image (like a photo from Photoshop for example) as SVG, it doesn’t automatically become a vector image. It simply becomes a raster image contained within the SVG file. Thus upon importing into Figma, it simply becomes what it is: a raster image in a frame.

1 Like

Thank you, @Gleb! That’s the clearest explanation I’ve had and exactly fits what I’m seeing. I’m working with a flat logo image, but it did come to me as a PNG, so I’m now exploring if there are other ways Photoshop can convert/vectorize it into a true SVG.

This can be done in Illustrator or in Figma itself with the help of plugins. Search for “trace” or “vectorize” and you will find lots of options.

1 Like

I don’t have Illustrator, so it’s great to know this can be done in Figma. Thank you again for your help!