Show Inspect Panel for Editors and Viewers

Why is it that if I’m editor in a file and I use the inspect panel, I can select things differently than if I’m view-only?

As a viewer your selections start at the innermost point, but as an editor your selections start at the outside. In the attached, if a viewer clicks on the “X” here it selects the vector element inside the component, while if an editor clicks the X it selects its topmost container element - #navigation-content, which contains #trailingAction, which contains the component we need, ◇grv-close. In both cases we can eventually select what we need - as an editor by doubleclicking a few times, and as a viewer by clicking the crosshairs in the inspect panel to see the parent component. But …why?

Am I going about this the wrong way, or missing something? Shouldn’t the Inspect panel be a neutral zone where everyone has the same abilities and views, so that I (as a designer) have visibility into exactly what a developer is going to receive for handoff? The way we structure designs has a big impact on how developers use them, but without the same view I don’t see how we can adjust for that.

close

Also, the Inspect panel should be view-only for everyone. Many developers have edit access, and with all the selecting and doubleclicking it’s easy to bump or nudge something.

So to sum up, in my view the Inspect panel:

• should function exactly the same no matter your status
  • should be read-only, no editing possible
2 Likes

I’m struggling with this today too. One of my developers can’t seem to inspect something, but I can’t tell why it’s happening, and it’s only happening within certain instances, seemingly at random.

Our developers are struggling with this too. Please change the Inspect mode for viewers to be the same as for editors. It is really hard for developers to properly inspect paddings, margins, components, auto layout,…

Thanks for the feedback, @Tomas_Rolejcek!

We’ve updated this topic into a feature request. Please vote so we can gauge interest from the community and hopefully implement this solution in the future.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.