What does the feature of external team mean?

Hey guys, I just purchased a professional account for the external team under an organization account. A professional account in an organization account? Whats the term of use of it?

1 Like

Professional and Organization are two different plans. You can upgrade a regular Starter team to a Professional plan, but not to Organization. Organization is a whole different workspace where an infinite amount of teams can live.

Hey Gleb, I keep having things open up in my “external team” instead of my org. How can I get rid of this external team that I don’t use?

I don’t just want to delete the team. I want to get rid of this “external team” option. Is that possible?

6 Likes

I also need to know how to if at all possible.

We would also like to know. For some of us, the External Team is the default when opening Figma and that is very annoying.

2 Likes

I’m sort of in the same boat. I had to transfer files out of “External Teams” that were being saved there and re-import them into my account. I don’t understand the purpose of it. I don’t want files living there at all if I’m not using it as it’s confusing. It’s just making everything more complicated and introducing the opportunity for error.

2 Likes

Yeah, don’t know how to save the file from external to the organization, re-import is quite annoying.

Hey All,

If a file was shared by a client with their own Pro/Org Plan, the file will always appear in your External Teams view as the file is part of a team that is outside of your Organization. Where you access the file is determined by the location of the file.

For the file to be transferred into your Org, you can have your client transfer a project (containing this file) by using the instructions in our article on how to Transfer a project or team to a different company. This would mean the file will reside in your Org space and will no longer reside outside of it.

If you’re moving files between instances (External Teams → Org space), the save as local copy/import route is the only option. More information on this can be found in our article on how to Move a file.

Alternatively, you could move the project from your External Teams view into a Team in your Organization, which would be a transfer of the file, not creating a duplicate and importing. This method is also outlined in the article. Hope this helps!

@dvaliao I know this thread is quite old but i’m hoping you can help me as i’m having the same issue as described by the original post. Its not a problem of files being shared from an external team. The issue is if i am logged in to my organisation and i want to duplicate a file from the community to my drafts it duplicates the file by default to the drafts folder of ‘external teams’ rather than the drafts folder of my org. Which then means i can’t move that draft into any of the teams or projects within my org. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Hey @Edwards_Brian, thanks for reaching out!

This is actually expected. If a file originally exists outside of your organization, any duplicates of those files will only be added to the drafts folder of external teams; whereas if the file is already within an organization, the duplicated file will be put into the drafts within your organization space.

To move the draft from external to within your Org, you’ll want to save a local copy then import it into your Org. More info here:

This seems to be a straightforward ask that a lot of people have (move a file from external teams into an Org team) but the way to do it is so convoluted (save it locally, then import it)… this is after thinking I had already accomplished the task by opening a file shared from the original Org A account, with my account in Org B and “Duplicating to Drafts”… but even though that account is part of Org B and in all the teams/projects where I want the file to go, I STILL need to download/import??? Why such a pain?

1 Like