Vertical alignment of certain fonts not working

Dear Figma,

Even if you are displaying the font the way it comes to you, but it is not working for the designers, you need to provide a solution that does work for us. Especially if garbage like XD can display font in the desired way.

Sincerely,
Everyone

To add context to the vertical alignment discussion, when I compared vertical alignment of Univers (all caps) in Figma to the same in PowerPoint there was a significant difference. Ppt spaces evenly between top and bottom walls of text box (or creates even cell padding), whereas Figma creates thicker cell padding at bottom. Comparisons to powerpoint may be frowned upon…but if a non design tool can align text vertically I don’t think it’s an issue of fonts / font glyphs. I’ll try the transfonter work around for now, but any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you for this. I feel like i’m glueing together my design, but it works at least!

1 Like

Hey! I was struggling with this too, so damn annoying! I found a small work around:

1. Group text on it’s own
  2. Add Auto layout
  3. Add a few pixels of top padding (I used 2px but depends on typeface)

It sucks but at least I can now have auto layout on buttons with it ACTUALLY being vertically centred.