Variant main component border isn't hidden when embedded into another frame

I’m not sure if this really a “bug” or not, but it doesn’t seem to follow other frame behavior, so I wanted to call it out.

When you drop a frame, a Main component, or a component instance, within another frame, the blue or purple border disappears. However, when you drop a variant Main component within another frame, it retains its dashed border. This is because when you add a “variant” to your component, it adds the dashed border as a stroke to the frame vs. a “native” border. It doesn’t make a huge difference, but it seems odd to me that a stroke would be applied as opposed to just having “native” border properties that signify it’s a variant, and so you have to manually remove the border. Example below of me having dropped a Main component with a variant into another frame:

do you know how to fix this?

It’s not really a fix, but you can select the frame colour and set opacity at 0% if you don’t want it to be visible.

2 Likes

This is honestly the best advice I’ve come across and probably your best option if you’re new to Figma like me and want to avoid this in your prototype previews.

1 Like