URLs for sharing that are not encoded

1. Describe the bug/issue you’re running into?

If the file or page name contains multi-byte characters such as Japanese, they are left unencoded when the URL is retrieved.

This may cause it not to be parsed correctly as a URL when pasted. Please encode it.

2. Are you able to consistently reproduce it? If so what are the steps?

Go to “Share”, and copy link. Or Select a Frame, and copy link.

3. Share a screenshot, recording, console log, link to the file, etc.

4. Is the issue only happening in desktop app or a specific browser , or both?

both.

5. What OS/version and/or browser/version are you using?

Desktop App version 101.6.
Latest version.

I think this is the issue with only one method of copying a link: Links to frame don't work - #6 by Gleb

I have a file with square brackets in the name. When I right-click > Copy As > Copy Link on a linkable element (frame, etc) the file name in the resulting url is unescaped and contains the square brackets in the link (which breaks the link). When I right-click > Copy Link on the file’s tab, the square brackets are escaped and the link works.

Anyone else having this issue?

1 Like

Hi @Michael_Renninger – just tested this on my end. It does seem like the brackets are unescaped, but I was able to get the link to still work properly in Chrome and Safari.

Are you on a different browser, by chance? Could you send us a screen recording of how the behavior appears on your end?

I’m using Figma Desktop 102.9 and Chrome 94.0.4606.71 (Official Build) (x86_64) on OSX 11.6

How do I send you a screen recording?

Hi @ksn
Chrome and Safari will parse and auto-encode a pasted URL.
But some apps don’t encode URLs.

I know these apps should auto-encode URLs, though the problem is that there is a difference in Figma’s “Copy link” behavior by a linkable node with by tab.

1 Like

Hi @ksn

I’ve confirmed that the problem has apparently been fixed! :tada:

2 Likes