Elusive new auto layout icon - what does it mean?

Hey everyone!

So this queery relates to being able to place a component into an auto layout frame but have it sit on top of the content which turns the icon in the layers panel from just a diamond to a diamond with a dashed square around it.

I was creating a design challenge for prospective employees and during this process I came across the ability to place content within auto layout frames in an unusual way. It had been some time since I had done it and can no longer remember/recreate what I had done.

I am on Windows and it was some combination of dragging the ā€˜Home bottom functionā€™ component + Alt or some other function key - at the time I tested with a collegue and could not recreate what I was doing on his Macbookā€¦

I will leave a link to the frame that you can copy out to see what I am talking about (the component with the unusual icon is the same as above, you should be able to see how it is also sat in the auto layout frame as well.) See first screenshot top component.

Figma link is here: https://www.figma.com/file/SRhY21A2mlCOaCB1ZMCRKi/Forum-Question?node-id=0%3A1

Should be able to copy out and have a look from your ends.

Looking forward to any responses or if anyone has any clue to either what the icon means or how I managed to get the component in there like that.

1 Like

Well itā€™s the first time I see this. This is interesting :face_with_monocle:

It looks like the icon for ā€œindependentā€ corners with a instance icon inside, but I have no idea what it means :confused:

I think this is a visual bug. Since itā€™s an instance of a component with 3 variants. When you are duplicating the same instance it shows the correct instance icon.

Hey @Desginer7,

This was a bug that our team pushed a fix for a little while back. You can remove it from your node by selecting it and running ā€œRestore auto layout positionā€ from quick actions.

3 Likes

Thanks Dvaliao, not gonna lie it would have made for a really good feature if you kept itā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! You may be pleasantly surprised in the futureā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had the exact same ā€œissueā€ (itā€™d be great as a feature just like you said) and posted it on forums. Thanks to @Antoine for pointing this thread out to me. I now feel less alone :smiley:

Looking forward to this bug becoming a feature. Using spacebar is not really enough :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Still no fix though. It happened to me today Aug 14, 2023. Have no idea what it is but itā€™s super annoying. Is it a bug?

Hey @James_Stables, sorry for the confusion!

The icon was for absolute positioning in auto layout, which wasnā€™t ready in April 2022 but it was launched in June 2022: