Super Nudge

A third nudge option. Normally i have to hit the button 10 times for 100px.

Anyone else have a need for something like this? basically a super nudge option.

1 Like

I believe that already exists. Hold shift while you’re nudging. You can even set your nudges (either your small or big) under Preferences > Nudge Amount.

I’m guessing OP wants three levels?

Arrow - 1px
Shift-Arrow - 10px (or 8, for those who like 8pt grid)
Super Nudge - 100px

The main issue is that we are running out of modifier keys!

1 Like

You can create a custom action that presses Shift + Arrow 10 times with apps like AutoHotKey on Windows and BetterTouchTool on Mac.

1 Like

the BetterTouchTool is a good suggestion. The best suggestion would be a third “super nudge” if that were wanted by enough users.

↑ This is the actual solution, Figma wouldn’t want to risk being bloated with too many preloaded preference options, modularization is the future. Advanced users should have both the need and the ability to custom tailor Figma to their own liking.
Using BBT and Plugins+BBT and local scripts+BBT, you can tweak Figma beyond your wildest imagination :hugs:

1 Like

And If you ever feel like you are running out of modifier keys, try these:

• Use modifier keys on the right side of your keyboard(BTT can differentiate them from their left side counterparts).
  • Use key sequences(e.g. double-pressing ‘m’ key to trigger the minimap plugin).
  • Use letter combinations(e.g. simultaneously press ‘sd’ to ‘auto layout align right’, and ‘mp’ to run ‘master → pick target’).
  • Use mouse draw.
  • Use HTML Floating menus.

I pieced together this floating menu for Sketch 4 years ago, and it still works perfect.

Tips:

• remember to attach additional action to press the ‘v’ key at the end, if your chosen keypress happens to activate certain tools.
  • You can use the Eject⎋ key, the fn key, and the Tab⇥ key to further expand your arsenal.
1 Like

Looks like the backtick key is available for shortcuts. This suggestion could be refocused as a general-purpose “super”/“extreme” modifier:

• shift+`+arrow = big nudge squared, or user-configured super nudge
  • cmd+opt+`+vertical arrow = move layer to beginning/end of group
  • cmd+opt+shift+`+arrow (yuck!) = resize layer by big nudge squared, or user-configured super nudge

if you can determine the user has a fn key, the desktop app could use that as a more ergonomic alias

1 Like

Bettertouchtool seems the way to go. But I’m wondering which modifiers are available? It appears that the shortcuts shown in the Figma app are not the full list since none of the cursor key shortcuts are listed.

I know about shift nudge, command nudge and command shift nudge. But what effect do Option and Control have for example?

It seems you also need to enable the BTT setting “Always use old keyboard shortcut implementation” in order to be able to override any of Figma’s built-in shortcuts. This is necessary if you want to set your super nudge via SHIFT+CMD+➡️.

I tried setting up a BTT keyboard shortcut that executes SHIFT+➡️ 10 times in succession, but it’s a bit sluggish since you actually have to watch it happen (it’s slow).

So I stumbled my way through creating a custom plugin to move selected layers 60 pixels at a time (my desired super nudge amount) so I can trigger that plugin instead. I have it working now, so just need to expand this to support left, up, and down as well.