Set a version as 'Current' / Working on Upcoming Versions in History

I am very pleased with the version history functionality as it allows me to work in a single file while maintaining my various iterations. I would like to work on upcoming versions in the same file but hidden from other viewers/editors. (not the prototype).

Therefore I would like to mark a certain version/iteration as the ‘current’ which is the version people see when they open the Figma file. However as an editor I want to create upcoming versions so I can work on them in advance, without the need to duplicate work.

I am used to something similar to this in ZeroHeight:

In Figma I have a version(1,2, …) of a design and an iteration (1.5, 1.6, …) and I would like to be able to work on the next version or iteration without people landing there.

I have similar needs. Here’s something I tested:

• Save a version of the file
  • Share the link of that version to two persons, Paul and Betty
  • After sharing, continue working on the file (eg. add a duck image somewhere…)
  • When opening the link, Paul can see the duck (he is a member of the team)
  • When opening the link, Betty cannot see the duck (she’s NOT a member of the team).

Sometimes I’d like Paul, typically a developer on my project, to see the version I froze and shared, and not my latest changes since then. But it seems that by being a team member, he always sees live any new change I make (even if he opened the file by following the link I shared).

When we share a version link to anyone, team member or not, I would expect them to see that very version and nothing else. (And if they are team member, the could have another way to access the latest version.)

Not sure if that would cause other issues?