Save local file doesn't work - shows File out of memory popup

Hi guys,

I tried a few times today to save a local copy of my file as backup but always end up on the “out of memory” .

I tried from the desktop app, online and from another computer but got the same results over and over…

is it a bug from Figma as it worked perfectly before or do I miss something here>

cheers,

JC

1 Like

Same issue here, have you figured it out?

Hey All, thanks for reaching out and sorry for the trouble!

If the file is bigger, it might be reaching its memory limits so you may need to resize it before saving locally.

Our Help Center article on how to Reduce memory usage in files has helpful information on how to avoid hitting this limit again. We suggest checking your file for the following elements which can cause a high available memory use, especially when used in components:

1. Images added to your File at a much larger size than they’re used at. You can check this by temporarily toggling your image Fill settings to ‘Tile’, 100% which will show you the full image size available to you. If it’s significantly larger than it’s being used at we suggest you either flatten that image layer or export and re-add it as a new fill so it is stored at only the size you need.
  2. A large amount of content spread across multiple Pages. We suggest you cut and paste content from this file into a new file so that you aren’t loading the content you don’t need to when opening a file. To preserve connections between instances and their main components, please follow the instructions in our Move published components article.
  3. Hidden layers: Loading and then hiding a large number of layers, especially in components or with images stored in them, can cause a high use of available memory on loading.
  4. Stacked Masks and Effects like shadows and blurs also take a lot of memory to load.

If your file is very small or doesn’t contain any of these elements and you’re still seeing warnings about memory use, please reach out to the support team directly via this form for help: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Be sure to use your Figma account email, include a link to the file, and share it with support-share@figma.com, so we can take a closer look.