Resize frame without constraints

Is there a way to resize a frame by entering its dimensions into the Design panel without causing the elements in the frame to attempt to adjust to the new size?
I realize that I can drag the boundaries of the frame directly while holding down the command key to achieve this, but typically I know the exact size I’m going for and it’s quicker and more precise just to punch in the number.

3 Likes

No, it’s not possible. There is an ongoing feature suggestion for this: Keying size values on a frame while ignoring constraints

1 Like

It is extremely frustrating to work on a frame that I cannot freely resize. I am developing UI and consistently find Figma horrible to use during the conceptualization process. This is such a minor feature that could speed up my work process tenfold. My solution thus far has been to copy the contents inside of the frame, delete them, resize the frame, and paste.

You can use some resizing plugins to simplify the process.

Hi,
I saw this article with this solution:
Well, I recently discovered that by holding Ctrl while you drag and resize the artboard, it ignores element’s constraints set-ups. In addition to that if you hold Ctrl + Alt the resizing will be performed proportionally .
https://lautaroferreyro.com/figma-how-to-resize-frames-without-moving-objects-inside/

6 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this. Exactly what I needed to know! I appreciate you!

You can use this plugin!!

THIS IS THE ANSWER! Thank you!!

This plugin has a very annoying limitation it seems: when you resize the frame, it will not keep the internal object centered, but resize the frame towards the top left corner. Is there any way to resize the frame while keeping the object centered? Thanks all!

Use Center constraints? That’s their whole purpose.

Yes that’s what I thought. I put the constraints to center, but it still resizes the frame towards the top left, no matter what constrains I set. Does that not happen to you?

Can you show an example? It’s unclear what you are resizing, how you are resizing and where you set the constraints.