Remove "try it out" from the Plugins menu

In Figma Community > Plugins, instead of “Install” the plugins now say “Try It Out.” I’ve read the help on this, and I still don’t understand the difference between “Try It Out” and “Install.” Both Installed and Try It Out plugins are available to all of my files, regardless of whether they are drafts or team files.

That confusion aside, how do I remove a plugin that I’ve “tried out” from the Figma Plugins menu? E.g., I tried one out, but I didn’t like it, and I no longer want to see it in my list of plugins. (I’m referring to the list of plugins directly in the plugins menu, not in the “Installed Plugins” submenu.)

22 Likes

Agreed! I initially thought the Try It Out thing was a bug since it creates a blank file to try the plug in on. (Which doesn’t always make sense because many plug-ins depend on you having the file populated already).

I preferred the old install experience because it was easier to keep track of what I actually used. If I tried out 10 different Contrast plugins and didn’t like 9 of them I could just uninstall rather than what we have now.

9 Likes

I’m so confused. Does “Try it out” mean “Install and open a blank Figma file to test out the plugin”? Or is the plugin not installed? It’s doubly confusing because one of my plug-ins just put up a paywall, so I thought this was some sort of new freemium trial feature that Figma’s rolling out.

6 Likes

This functionality is super confusing. I also prefer the old experience. It’s so much faster to simply Install and then try it rather than creating a new file every time.
More problematically: With some plugins (as I just tried with Avatars), if you click anywhere on the page (i.e. to create a shape), it closes the plugin dialog and there is now no way to try it. This is beyond dumb.

3 Likes

Remove “Try it out”, ridiculously confusing

8 Likes

Have to agree.

2 Likes

Has anyone found a way to remove the “Try it out” plugins in the menu? I’d love to not see them anymore.

6 Likes

same issue, I hoep thay will fix it. Bad experience, I have my plugin menu very messy.

4 Likes

Yes please give us a way to manage installed plugins, my plugin menu s getting crowded

5 Likes

+1 this new ‘Try it out’ is such a confusing experience, prefer the old one!

2 Likes

this is insane and now it’s just became impossible to remove/delete plugins

1 Like

yes please, before it was so much easier

1 Like

Agreed such a bad user experience decision.
“Trying it out” literally doesn´t work 90% of the time and now you´re stuck with plugins in your list which you don´t want!

This feature could be cool if it allowed the plug-in developer to provide a “playground” file with content that lets the user to truly try it out, rather than just a blank file. I have a plug-in that relies on a certain set of components to be available: it would be great if I could provide a playground file so the user could copy the components from it.

Otherwise, though, this seems like a solution in search of a problem.

3 Likes

I agree. This was a swing and a miss by Figma. How do I get rid of them after the tryout? If they want to keep the same interaction model, let us try out the plugin we select on any page we run it on (or at least keep that dialog open while we add content to try out on), and have a “Keep or Remove” selection after we’ve tried it out. I’d even settle for the Keep or Remove buttons on the Try it out dialog as a quick fix. thanks

“Try it out” would be fine if it came after a button that said “install”. Not being able to install a plugin from the plugin page is… just baffling.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. It is just not helpful, when I want to install a plugin I click “Try it out”. It opens a new file and I do my job there, and I think it is installed and delete the file. But apparently, it is not, so I lose all the useful plugins just because of this nonpractical feature.

1 Like

Hey All, thanks for the feedback!

We hear you. The new flow was intended to allow users to try out a plugin, before installing it. That said, all of your feedback has been taken into consideration for a future update - stay tuned!

3 Likes

Thanks @dvaliao!

1 Like

Hi there,

Is there any way for me to update my plugin draft when users click the try button under my plugin page? For now it is a total empty canvas.

BTW, I think it would a better solution that the ‘Try it out’ button shows only if the author provide a draft, otherwise just show a install button directly.