Figma Support Forum

Remove "move style definition into this file"

I am working with my colleagues on a new design system. We have given view to our design system library to other designers who use the DS in their own projects. However, even though they only have view on the DS, they can make changes to the library by right-clicking on the color palette, and click “move style definition into this file”.

Does anyone know if there is an option to disable this?

2 Likes

Yeah definitely seems like a flaw, there is no way to disable this currently.

1 Like

Yes, indeed. I believe flaw might be an understatement, to be completely honest. We’ve already experienced that our color palette has had several colors being detached, because of this. Which means that a lot of our DS components is also detached. It took my team a lot of time and investegation skills to try to figure out what happened. We were lucky that we discovered it pretty fast, but it could happen again as the number of Figma users in our organization is increasing. We would really appreciate it being removed for users who do not have edit and/or make it an option with an alert before continuing moving colors.

3 Likes

I ran into this almost 2 years ago (same usecase of trying to share a read-only DS) I didn’t realize it will actually remove the Style from the DS…always thought it would just duplicate the style into your local file.

Interesting find and a little scary :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, that was what my colleague tought as well. It is scary indeed, especially when users are supposed to be able to only “view”.

1 Like

I just posted an issue encountering the same issue, although it was caused by me. This is a huge, HUGE bug that needs to be fixed ASAP. The fact that anyone could break an entire design library like this is awful!

1 Like

Yes, it can easily happen to you colleagues or yourself. It is a dangerous button. I don’t know what the purpose of this button is. It doesn’t make any sense. However, spread the word as I would feel better if it was removed or that the functionality was “copy” and not “move”.

2 Likes

I suppose it’s there if you ever wanted to separate your components from your styles.

However, it’s completely bugged. If you do it and try to undo it with CMD+Z, the style is forever lost and glitched.

That, added with the fact that anyone can do it… :grimacing:

I’ve had this happen early on in our DS Library creation and unless you inform your editors, especially those starting out in Figma, it is bound to happen. But as a Library author, this is a necessary feature so I am not suggesting we remove it.

I would, however, second the suggestion of adding the “Copy style definition into this file” action because that is usually what people want to do. This would also make it clear that “move” is not the same as “copy.”

2 Likes

Ooooooh that is what happened! I accidentally removed one of my primary colour styles this way, spent hours fixing this by adding a new colour and manually relinking everything… And now I can’t get that new style to publish anymore. That is to say, it constantly sees it as a new colour and it never ever gets actually published. I can’t access that new colour from other files either now. :frowning: Please please please fix!

1 Like

@Figma_Support will this ever be fixed? :confused:

2 Likes