Prototype crashes after loading on iPhone, how to fix this?

Same issue here… We had to turn down our user test because the prototype always crashed on the participants device…

I had the same issue. It’s working fine on my iPad so I think it could be a caching / memory issue on iPhone ( 11 Pro Max ). I closed all my open windows / tabs in safari on iPhone, then restarted the phone. It seems to be working for now, but not sure if just temporary until memory fills up.

I think there is a correlation with interactive components also. It seems that adding ones with hover states creates the issue ( am re-using desktop components, but might try building separate mobile components ).

update… the issue does fix itself by rebooting the phone, but after a while you may come back to it, and it crashes. a quick reboot will fix it. It’s not ideal, but may be a workaround for testing purposes.

update 2… Firefox browser on iPhone seems to be a bit more stable, but still requiries a reboot after a while.

Hi all, after about three hours of digging around, I found Loom screen recorder. I recorded myself going through the prototype and then embedded the video in my portfolio. My case study doesn’t crash at this point in time when viewing on my phone. Hope this helps.

+1 this is extremely frustrating. I did not have issues with this before switching to Figma.

Hi all, we’re digging into this problem a bit further. Would any of you be happy to share a link to the file/prototype that’s causing issues so we can investigate?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @Robert_Bye i’m dealing with this issue now as well. can i provide you a link too? as you can imagine, it’s rather maddening to spend weeks on a business critical prototype that just won’t work on any iphone browser. i too have reduced file sizes, minimized use of smartanimate (believe i’m following the rules and best practices).

this doesn’t happen on android.

reported here too:

Hi @Ron_Matana if you could, that would be fantastic! Thanks so much

gracias @Robert_Bye. believe i shared it via direct message. first time doing so…so lmk if i bungled it.

1 Like

All received through! Just dropped you a reply to help me get access

Hi guys has there been a update for this, please?

Facing the same issue, tried duplicating all screens to a new figma file. Still having the same problem that the prototype is not working on iOS.

1 Like

Hey Robert, I am facing the same problem and can share the prototype link with you. How do I share it?

Hi @Robert_Bye do you also know how to restart a prototype from a mobile browser? Is there a shortcut we can use?

Hey everyone and Hi @Robert_Bye. How far is the progress so far regarding this problem ? I Have the same issues as everyone in this thread. I even tried making all my screens .jpg to reduce loading times and memory issues but it still doesnt work. Like @Thai_Lam already mentioned, on android it somehow works more or less fine, whereas IOS is just loading and then instantly killing the page afterwards. What im curious about is why the figma prototype uses about 5 gb of memory on my Labtop (my Prototype is about 45 slides long) EVENTHOUGH I only use .jpgs and some connections in between.

Hey @Emanuel2 I know it sounds counterintuitive, but converting things to .jpgs will actually make crashes more likely due to images using more memory than vectors.

On Android we are less limited with memory usage compared to iOS, hence why it does perform better.

@Robert_Bye I see. Thanks for your answer. When do you think will there be a solution for people with this problem ? especially for users on IOS ?

We’re still actively looking into this, and improvements have been made in the past few weeks as well :ok_hand:

I had the same issue on my android device after reinstalling Figma app.
I think there is a restriction to performance for mobile data and wi-fi, after unchecking both under settings everything works fine again

This does not fix it either, not anymore at least. It fixes it crashing in Figma mirror but not on actual website. Now the issue has gotten worse it won’t only crash but also will not complete loading. I have literally reduced my files to bare minimum and it did not resolve.

@Robert_Bye Any updates? Even reducing file size does not help, I removed all hidden layers and ungrouped all components to bare minimum. It’s extremely frustrating as we can’t do use testing with embed nor can I put any of my work on my portfolio site. Why can’t it work like the Adobe embed? I ended up transferring all my work to adobe XD and that one loads perfectly on all mobile devices and even better it stays the true screen size vs Figma size keeps the entire background/UI… transferring to Adobe is not sustainable way to do this… I am having to waste hours fixing after transfer… we need a fix/solution!

1 Like

Also having the issue causing trouble for my user tests. We’ve had to switch to Desktop and the phone view for most users…which works, but isn’t ideal.