Professional plan should offer more than 4 variable modes

@dvaliao I would like to congratulate Figma for their amazing new features introduced today. Although I completely understand that changing number of modes for different pricing tiers is incomparably more difficult and far less important than new AI features, revolutionary new UI, and new Slides product (thank God we finally have a tool for creating presentations!), I strongly believe that the voices of the very few of us will be heard. No hurries though, whenever you got time, it’s not like we are pointing out a serious problem for a year or so. Also fixing some API bugs would be fine too, but who really cares, we have AI now! :hugs:

14 Likes

Yeah, totally, it’s SOOOOOO important to make all these features that no one is asking for and (especially in the case of the AI features) even repulsively horrified by instead of fixing one of the most terrible core product decisions ever.

It’s good to have your priorities so straight over so many years. Laser focused on being responsive to customer feedback over all other things. It’s saintly.

Doesn’t make us look for competing products to jump ship to at all. Like, I’m NOT looking at the Penpot website right now to see if I could realistically switch to that soon.

8 Likes

I am jumping in with my two cents here as well because I do not want this thread to close and Figma needs to hear this. 4 modes is absolutely absurd. I see everyone using their modes differently but have come to the same conclusion. 4 modes is unbearable and outrageous. I am not much for voicing my complaints a lot but this is something just absurd and awful. For example, I have a collection where they all are variables that design UI components for a UI library that I am working on. I wanted to use the modes to represent the states of the button (default, hover, active, focus, disabled) but apparently that is too much to ask for. For others as well! Using t-shirt sizes. What we can only do sm, md, lg, xl? No 2xl? No full for radius? What about colors? What about different themes? Don’t even get me started on the fact that the REST API for variables is enterprise too. I am an independent hobbyist who wants to create a UI library. I want to design it out before I implement it but I have to pay $5000 if I want to become efficient??? No.

7 Likes

If Figma wants to cap the number of modes per tier, that’s fine by me. However, I cannot understand the gap between the 4 mode limit on the Organization plan and 40 on Enterprise. It just doesn’t make sense. I’m not asking for 40 modes; give me at least 10, and I’ll be happy.

5 Likes

This is ridiculous

4 Likes

Then you won’t want to buy an organization plan :eyes::brain:

1 Like

We are on an org plan already :slight_smile: With only 4 modes!

1 Like

Yes, looks like I read it wrong. Yes, there are 40 mods in Enterprise only. Very strange sharp jump in quantity

2 Likes

Modes shouldn’t be limited on paid plans! For those who need unlimited modes this limitation makes the entire setup useless.
Why should an organization invest this much time and effort and money and not be able to serve client designs with modes?
Even 40 is not enough for an agency or a white label SaaS product.

Please remove modes limitation altogether!

3 Likes

Another day of me asking for MORE MODES PLEASEEE the work arounds are messy and endless

2 Likes

Just ran into this problem again for creating custom color modes for whitelabel clients.
4 modes are a joke. at least double that for professional or if you want to milk us make additional modes an upgrade package for a few bucks.
95% of the freelancers don’t need all the other feature of an enterprise option.

5 Likes

It literally feels like we’re screaming into a void here. This is such a pain point for so many people and no one from Figma even deems it important enough to chirp in.

4 Likes

Totally agree !!!

1 Like

Can the mods or @RizePoint_Product add “variable” tag on this thread?

1 Like

If this is all a question about dev mode, then let us at least be able, as designers, to use variables (unlimited) to help us cut down on time wasted on creating multiple copies of styles and tons of component variants, tweaking minute things to satisfy variables in language, breakpoints, colour schemes, etc. Then, could you unlock the developer stuff separately?

2 Likes

Sad to see Figma doesn’t seem to care about their users’ real needs. I’m losing my mind trying to make the 4 modes work for a responsive setup. And it probably will never work as intended.
Rest assured, most freelancers and small to medium companies will never pay for the enterprise plan just to have more modes. The price per seat is absurd and they probably don’t need any of the other features in that plan. What will happen is designers from those companies will start to look for better alternatives and pitch them to their “head of”. Remember what happened to Sketch?.. I do! If you don’t solve this issue soon, someone else will. I’m very disappointed with Figma and won’t think twice about switching tools.

5 Likes

heeey!! Just me again asking for more modes for ALL plans not just professional - this is something that would greatly alleviate the pains of building a design system with variables. WE have a million compounded collections to make up for the lack of modes and its reallllllly painful