LAUNCHED: Password Protect Prototypes for User Research

We love using Figma for user testing, however it poses privacy risks. In the past, I once observed someone logging back into the prototype and taking screenshots with their phone after the test ended.

• We use Lookback and prepare a Figma prototype link to share ahead of time for each participant so we’re not scrambling beforehand.
  • We prefer this so that we don’t force our participants to sign up for a Figma account, which would seem unnecessary and would put people off.
  • I found a plugin called Crypto, but it only creates one password that can’t be changed, even when deleted and re-adding to the prototype.

We’d love to have some sort of password option we could change between participants for the public link.

14 Likes

Agreed, privacy is key for many designers and clients. The only way to make it work right now is by whitelisting specific users but that can get tricky and time consuming.

I’ve used the Crypto plugin to make this happen but then again, it looks that you are yet sending your designs to another platform (which may incur into legal issues sometimes).

I hope this feature gets enough priority soon, big clients are all about keeping their assets safe.

3 Likes

Yes please! It’s such a basic feature it surprised me Figma doesn’t have it.

2 Likes

This is great would love to see password protection options for our prototypes.

+1
I’ve always used psw with Marvel prototypes

1 Like

Agreed. This is super simple yet powerful

1 Like

That’s a deal breaker for our organisation (50+ designers). We could argue about the actual effectiveness of password protected links but that’s not how security departments in large orgs think…

Damn. Was about to ask the exact same question. This is a real issue working with clients who require privacy but don’t want to (and shouldn’t need to) set up figma accounts for all stakeholders, etc, who need to view a working prototype.

Another flaw with the Crypto plugin is that it doesn’t contain any of the prototype links, just flat designs, which isn’t ideal at all. You also can’t house the design in a device (ie an iPhone) which although doesn’t sound like a big deal, it makes a difference for some clients to be able to see it presented in a visual way that they can understand/relate to and be able to internally present the work to other stakeholders if need be.

If this isn’t something that is on the radar I’d really want to see invision integration added as invision has a super easy way of adding a password layer to prototypes. Not ideal at all to have to go back to using multiple tools (sketch + invison etc) but it really is a problem for large agencies/organisations to not be able to password protect work.

1 Like

It wouldn’t affect the existing security settings, right?

You could still make the entire prototype accessible for people invited to the file, or make it accessible for anyone with the link.

Password protection would be a nice in-between option.

I’m favour of password protected prototypes, the fact that we don’t have them it’s a deal breaker

Same problem here. I work for a large company and we cant make public links because privacy restrictions. We have to get clients emails and send the invites. That’s ok somentimes, but also we have another kind of projects in which we have to drop the link and leave. A password access for that ones would be the best solution.

1 Like

+1
We need this asap with out client work

1 Like

Yes please, I dont want to export projects into InVision just so we can password protect and its so clunky when showing to clients, please just let us password protect a prototype. It’s one of my major pain points at the moment.

Does anyone know if they offer this on Enterprise accounts as a custom Feature? We also need the password protection feature! A major pain point at the moment.

1 Like

Would love to have this feature as well with an enterprise account. Major pain point as well on our end!

2 Likes

Sadly not yet available with an enterprise account. There is a plugin ‘crypto’ that offers this option. But since I don’t have a view on the google cloud where the (encrypted) designs are stored it’s not an option for me personally to use.

Maybe it could help !

Yes, please. This is something that InVision Enterprise offers, but Figma does not.

2 Likes

We are not able to use plugin integration for this due to contract and confidential term conflicts.

Anyone found solution to this? It’s ridiculous that this basic feature hasn’t’t been implemented.

1 Like

Yes please implement this. The Crypto plugin is not secure so if Figma could build this as a native feature that would be great.

1 Like