Open Assets Panel (Option 2) no longer selects text in search box

The Option-2 shortcut used to select all the text in the Search box, which was a favorite way of inserting a new component with the keyboard. It no longer does, which makes 3 extra keystrokes to delete the old text and do a new search. Can we pleeeez revert to the old behavior if this was not intentional. Desktop Mac v 99.0.

6 Likes

This has been driving me up a wall. I am used to selecting the assets panel with Option-2 and having whatever Iā€™d typed into the search input previously be automatically selected so I could just start typing again. This no longer happens, so when I start typing my new search out of habit it doesnā€™t replace the old text and I have to double back and highlight it myself. I donā€™t know why something like this would be changed, I really hope Figma can change it back.

2 Likes

Yeah! I give such feedback quite rarely, but this things forcing me to be here.
I agree with posts above!

3 Likes

I am not sure when this changed, but the new behavior of using the Alt + 2 keyboard shortcut significantly slows down my use of the Component Library.

Old Behavior:
It used to behave that after I pressed Alt + 2, any text currently in the search box would automatically highlight so that the new search would replace the last search.

New Behavior:
Now after pressing Alt + 2, the curser is added at the end of the previous search so that new text gets added to the last search. This is annoying and useless IMO. Also, I now need to look at the search box to determine if I need to delete text now after using the shortcut.

Please revert this back to the previous behavior.

1 Like

I realize thereā€™s not a ton of traction here but would still like to see an explanation if possible. Itā€™s still an issue that is slowing down my workflow, as I use the assets panel shortcut probably hundreds of times a day.

1 Like

My problem is how the search inside of the assets panel works. Whenever I search for something I consider my need as fulfilled. When I come back later to the panel the search string is still present in the input field. It majorly annoys me to select all and override it.

What I think would help a lot, is if Figma would just select all text inside of the input. This way people wanting to add to the previous queue could easily do so with pressing arrow right and all others could just start typing instead of having to CMD+A beforehand.

Currently this is what happens as a result all the time:
Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 11.02.20
(Searched for ā€˜dividerā€™ (divi) and then later wanted to search for ā€˜buttonā€™ (butt) ā€“ but since the text string is not selected, I just added to it resulting in nothing)

ā€œOpt + 2ā€ shortcut is pretty handy and reminds me of Chromeā€™s ā€œCmd + Lā€ except when it doesnā€™t highlight the text when pressed while active.

Chromeā€™s shortcut is great and intuitive because it removes the need of deleting the previous search whereas in Figma the user needs to clear the search field and then type the new search.

Suggestion: When the assets search field has text and is active, pressing ā€œOpt + 2ā€ would highlight the whole text (just like Shift + A).

Thanks

This has been fixed! Finally search is usable again! :slight_smile:

1 Like