Laptop/Monitor/iMac and Custom devices in Prototype

Hello,

I am currently searching for a way to present my prototypes in a “laptop/mac/screen” device. However in the prototypedevice dropdown I see no option for it.

is there a way to have a “TV” as device for example? Or a “Macbook”, or a “Monitor” or a “Custom-Device” ? If not that would be cool to include sometime.

Vic.

12 Likes

What’s the point of such device if you are already viewing the prototype on a computer?

@Gleb

For the same reasons there are currently all those other “mobile” devices.

• Not everyone is previewing it on a computer, sometimes it is projected in a large projector screen. Think about large presentations.

• It is especially useful to inform my colleagues how a web design mockup should look and work in the device it was originally concepted.

• Sharing Screenshots with the proper device transports overall a better feeling, all gives a “big picture” message.

• Why not?

10 Likes

Hi there,
I would like to create a scrollable prototype in a macbook device, but I can choose only phone and tablet devices in the prototyping section.

Is there any way to create the same visual just in a laptop not in a mobile device?
Many thanks!
Réka

2 Likes

I would like to create a video about scrolling and clicking on the webapp. The easiest way would have been to have the laptop device and record my screen. However, if there are easy ways to do this, please share it with me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I also second this. Please kindly share if you guys find any solution for this!

Definitely give more context when presenting the website on the device mock up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d love to be able to add custom device frames for other devices than just computers and smartphones.
For example, i am currently working on HMIs for air conditioners. And it would really help my clients understand the prototype better if there is a picture of the hardware as a frame when presenting or sending it to them.

4 Likes

That is a great point!

1 Like

I have the same issue for embedded devices. A feature like that would definitely help.

1 Like

There should be “community” devices that you can “install” so that we don’t need to constantly complain to Figma about updating preview devices like this.

7 Likes

Same here - we would love custom device frames to show our designs in context on custom hardware.

A library of custom device frames would be great, as long as we can also have a private one to keep IP protected.

Has anyone figured a way around this, maybe using a live embed iframe with png overlay for the custom device frame?

Adding my vote as well. It seems silly that it’s not available.

We need to have Samsung and other devices on the list. Most of our corporate clients dont issue or use apple devices.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m having the same issue! Can anyone please share how to do it?

I also have the same issue. Anyone out there with a solution?

I work for a company that makes its own specific hardware as well as the software that runs on it. It would be incredibly helpful if we could create custom device frames to help put the software design in context for both testing and communicating via critiques, discussions, meetings, etc.

To get around this, we have to add the device mockup to every frame while designing, which can be a huge pain and extra work for any one of our design team members.

1 Like

Following.

For the time being I use the “Surface Pro 4” as a device.

It’s wide enough and gives you the feeling of a computer screen without the stand at the bottom which I find unnecessary anyway.

Try it!

1 Like

There is no desktop device. so we can select and create a mockup.

The current list of prototype devices is limited to Apple products and three google products. My team at Garmin designs for our fitness wearables with a custom screen size and external button inputs.

It would be nice to set a custom device frame once and have it be usable across all of our prototypes. Just take a png of the product with the screen cut out over the prototype when in presentation mode?

Are there other people with this same issue/desire? Maybe some other companies designing for a custom device? Any other wearables design teams? Spotify Car Thing?

1 Like