Maybe the overlay functionality was originally designed to simulate modals.
But two (unnecessary?) limitations limit their power for other applications:
- The fact that I cannot have more than one overlay open
- The fact that I cannot interact with the area outside the overlay is very limiting
Please allow for having multiple overlays and for interactions outside of an active overlay. If you need regular modal behavior, you can still have that by checking a checkbox (off by default) in the Figma UI.
Limitations like this mean I have to back & forth between Figma & Protopie. I fully realize that Figma may not be aiming for HiFi prototyping (text fields, conditionals and even sensors). But just a couple of well designed tweaks and features will enable me (and probably others) to do 90% of my prototyping in Figma…
- Image you have an image grid with smaller images.
- Clicking an image will make it go full size.
- A prototyping execution for this is loading an overlay with the bigger version of the image
- You can browse the bigger images via “Swap overlay” with buttons on the overlays.
- You can close the bigger image via “Close overlay” with a close icon on the overlay
- You cannot navigate to a completely different screen if the nav that triggers that screen is not on the active overlay. I have to close the overlay before I can use that nav.
- You cannot browse the bigger images via “Swap overlay” with buttons that are not on the overlay.