I’m not sure if this is just an issue with particularly large orgs (like Meta), but I often experience issues with the @mention typeahead in Figma, specifically:
- Initial search results can take a long time to show up. I often have to wait a few seconds after typing a partial name (or complete name) before I see any options for mentioning someone.
- Worse still, when making a selection either using arrow and enter keys or my mouse, the typeahead continues to receive results, which almost always means I make the wrong selection.
I would expect something like the following to be true:
- Only update the list in response to a user action (specifically, typing characters)
- Add some visual indicator if more results are being loaded in, so that I know to expect a UI thrash
- Prevent my selected option from moving around in the list if new results come in
- (Maybe actually the best improvement you could make) Always prioritise results for people who are already active in the current file or project. In fact, pre-populating the typeahead with people already in the file would be magical.