Make reviewing UX design work suck less

We still write up design review documents in Google Docs. A lot of the most important UX feedback we give in these reviews is on workflow, layout, and information architecture. The point-and-shoot nature of design feedback, not just in Figma but in all design tools, is more effective for visual design than UX.

I would propose something like a storyboard format. Once I have connected all the noodles of my prototype I would love to lay out the screens and state transitions in sequence, like a storyboard, with big comment fields for people to have meaningful conversations.

The tool also needs to be accessible to non-designers. PMs and Engineers remain uncomfortable in the guts of our tools, so it has to be presented in a familiar and non-technical format that invites feedback and contribution from other departments outside design.

One specific killer feature of G-docs is that when people comment and reply we get emails, further promoting productive conversation. This also needs to be effective.

1 Like

I would also suggest something better than assigning feedback to a pixel on the screen, allowing a scope for feedback that can mirror component architecture. Like the dev tools in my browser that allow me to pull up code for components on the page as a hover, as I’m leaving feedback I’d love to hover my mouse to reveal the component hierarchy and then leave feedback at varying levels instead of just on a pixel

It would be great to also be able to embed specific frames into Google Docs that would get updated as the design is updated. Saving JPGs has caused some confusion in these external documents and after looking through several sources I couldn’t find a way currently that supports an interaction like this.

1 Like