Custom spacing in lists between paragraphs and between numbers/bullets and text

Thank you figma team for the new list feature! It has been my most anticipated feature for YEARS. There are 2 features that I would love to see to support it.

1. I believe lists should support paragraph spacing between bullets.

2. I am unable to start an ordered list at any number other than 1. Which feels too restrictive. I type 2. and start typing and figma changes it to 1.

Does anyone else agree? Is there anything I missed?

50 Likes

I fully support!

It’d be also nice to change standard bullets to custom ones…

Or at least to change bullet’s appearance according to tab

7 Likes

The feature is kind of useless without space after.

26 Likes

I was super happy about lists.Now I had to use them and there is no way to control the spacing in-between bullets!
Thought it’s like any other text editor where you can simply add two line-breaks and you end up with an empty line, but no. You get another bullet … And on top of everything you aren’t even allowed to type in the numbers manually. Disappointing.

9 Likes

Definitely agree. I’d say Figma needs to do a bit more user testing before rolling out features. A bullet list is great but fairly useless for a designer without offering the ability to control the spacing between items, which is such a basic level use case. Even PowerPoint offers more control.

3 Likes

I know the list feature is new, but one major issue I’m having is with the spacing between paragraphs. When the list option is selected, it smushes the lines together and the paragraph spacing adjustment no longer works. The paragraph spacing still works outside of lists, but typing out numbers & dashes is obviously not as convenient as an auto-formatted list.

When I add dashes to text, which starts the list, it will automatically negate the paragraph spacing settings that were already there. Screenshots of issue below. You can see that both text blocks have a paragraph spacing of 20, but the one in list format is far closer together.

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 2.32.11 PM

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 2.32.38 PM

5 Likes

agree with others here that lists is a step in the right direction but control over line spacing and spacing between bullets/numbers and the start of letter forms is crucial. also, another big lacking feature is the ability to color the bullets/numbers independent of the fonts color. as long as we’re on missing features, isn’t it about time for a true super/sub scripting capability?

6 Likes

Hi, everyone

Just use SHIFT+ENTER at the end of the paragraph and you’ll get an empty line below. And the numbering will be consistent.

8 Likes

Not being able to add space between bullets is insane!

8 Likes

Was really hyped with the introduction of bulleted and numbered lists, but can’t find a way to increase the spacing between the list items. Is that just a missing feature in development or am I blind? :upside_down_face:

Super stoked to finally have bullet points! It seems paragraph spacing has no affect and it’s not possible to adjust the spacing below each list item at this time. Can this be fixed please?

2 Likes

Seconding this please! Was trying to update the spacing between line items earlier, when I realized that Figma doesn’t seem to read list items as paragraphs (just like every other word editor out there).

1 Like

I came up with this plugin to solve the spacing problem – Text to Auto Layout List. Hope I can help you. :grinning:

3 Likes

This is a great interim fix for this issue, thanks for posting it!

Hi all!
The bulleted and numbered list update is awesome.
However i would like to know if it is possible to custom the spacing between the bullet/number and the text?

8 Likes

This helped, thanks so much

I second all of this. Not having spacing between list items is a huge whiff. Has anyone from @Figma responded to this yet?

I create bullet points in Figma by pressing Command-8 (•) and Figma recognizes them as bullets. However, when I alter the ‘Paragraph spacing,’ the space in-between bullet points does not change accordingly. I would love to be able to customize this spacing, though, for the sake of formatting my resume.

To fix this issue, please consider categorizing the space in-between bullet points as paragraph spacing, if possible. Thank you!

2 Likes

Bulleted/numbered lists are super useful. I’m using them to group written ideas together which can result in wrapping a text into multiple lines. Unfortunately it becomes difficult to scan them visually.

Paragraph spacing currently has no effect on bulleted lists. This small fix would help visually separate bulleted points from each other and provides more control on the end result.

8 Likes

Thank you very much, works fine!