Launched: Figma Dark Mode/Theme

The Figma app doesn’t respect my OS settings for dark mode. This is a UX failure. A white background is like staring into a light bulb all day long. If it has a dark mode and a switch to turn it on is buried somewhere, that’s another UX failure. I shouldn’t have to turn it on, it should respect my OS settings. I hate this app.

1 Like

@Figma , @Josh,
when will we have dark mode support?

2 Likes

How is this still not a priority?

You’re a design tool. Even Adobe’s suite is all in dark mode.

Being behind Adobe on anything isn’t a great look.

5 Likes

you can not step into the same river twice, unless the river is figma light theme :smiling_face_with_tear:

I hope this is coming soon :pray::two_hearts:

Hey All,

Rest-assured, this is already on our radar! We don’t have a specific timeline to provide just yet, but stay tuned! :wink:

11 Likes

Great to hear! Thank you.

2 Likes

This is very good to know :slight_smile: my eyes say thank you :pray:

I hope I can stop using browser plugins like Figma Dark Theme (which works well, but I think he’s been strong-armed into no longer maintaining it) and just use the mac app.

2 Likes

Just chiming in, I got LASIK last month and have to work with all my lights off, and everything on my computer in dark mode. I’ve never appreciated the combined efforts of every developer in the “dark mode” camp more in my life. White literally causes me physical discomfort. I can’t use the Figma desktop app since it doesn’t support web browser plugins and thus will always be primarily bright white. Can’t wait for dark mode to come out.

2 Likes

So a response only took over a year. Now let’s see how many years it takes to implement. :thinking:

5 Likes

2022 and there is still no dark theme in Figma… :sneezing_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s sad

Sadly, I don’t think we can trust any spokesman of Figma.

It’s been more than 2 years that native dark mode is a user addressed issue. They always say something along “we are working on it”. If they cared about it so much as their users care about it, it would’ve been done since.

Personally, what makes me kind of upset is that dark mode is a simple functionality compared to other perks they developed, and that became an enormous problem when it comes to User Experience, talking of that Figma should be standing up front for it, but they don’t.

1 Like

If you check how many bugs there are still in the system, a Dark Mode theme is not that important. I’d rather have a good working application.

As for eye strain, its unclear if Dark Mode has an actual effect. Except psychological; just because you think its better, doesn’t mean it is.

" While dark mode has a lot of benefits, it may not be better for your eyes. Using dark mode is helpful in that it’s easier on the eyes than a stark, bright white screen. However, using a dark screen requires your pupils to dilate which can make it harder to focus on the screen. "

" Why does eye dilation make it harder to see? When your pupils dilate, your vision becomes less clear. When your pupils constrict under bright light, your vision sharpens. Just like a camera, a smaller aperture provides greater depth of focus. "

" Dark mode may work to decrease eye strain and dry eye for some people who spend a lot of time staring at screens. However, there’s no conclusive date that proves dark mode works for anything besides extending the battery life of your device. "

Maybe there’s a reason we couldn’t make promises until now… :wink:

Me: Using Figma at 10pm: “Damn it’s bright, my eyes are dying.”

Me: Using another app that supports dark mode at 10pm: “Thank God. It’s so much more pleasant to work.”

MakePixelsWork: “As for eye strain, it’s unclear if Dark Mode has an actual effect.”

dvaliao from Community Support replies to MakePixelsWork: “Maybe there’s a reason we couldn’t make promises until now…”

No offense intended, but seriously?

:man_facepalming: :weary:

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion, but my reply was to yVincent not MakePixelsWork.

Hi all - is there any update on this? is there a dark mode yet??

Jesus what? How could anyone say it has no effect? It’s more comfortable even for just 5 minutes???

I mean I literally bought a mac so that I could use Sketch and work in dark mode. It is literally worth hundreds of pounds

2 Likes