Image vs Frame Memory Usage

Hi everyone,

I just have a quick question regarding Figma’s memory usage when it comes to image vs frame.

As you know, Figma has an active memory limit of 2GB and my team is very cautious of this limit. Keeping scale in mind when creating projects, I was told to be careful of duplicating some of the existing symbol/frame as it could take up more memory. Because of this, I wanted to see if copy and pasting the png of the symbol might use less memory.

This is just a theory of mine but I think png copy of the symbol would take up less space than the copy of it. With this context in mind, I have two questions:

1. Which one is more efficient on memory usage? Copy of the symbol/frame? Or the png copy?

2. Is there a way we can check the memory usage of the individual page/symbols?

1 Like

An image would be way lighter if the frame contains many nested layers. However, if it’s just 10-20 nested layers, I doubt an image would be any lighter. Also if you’ve got many images, they might start eating more GPU power and in turn cause more RAM usage as well (idk how exactly it works, that’s just my understanding). So it’s really hard to compare between the two, the results would differ from file to file and from computer to computer.

There is no way to check individual layer memory usage as far as I know.

2 Likes

This makes a lot more sense. Thank you for the explanation Gleb!

It’s a shame we don’t have the feature to check memory usage so far :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.